Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superlift help

Old 01-04-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The jam nuts on the adjustable arms are huge. I just used a tongue and groove adjustable wrench. It isn't like you need to tighten them to spec or anything, because if the entire apparatus rotates, you have much bigger problems than a loose nut.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
I want to go help him just because of where he is. But, it is a long drive. Next time I visit my family in MN I'm going to stop say hi and keep driving.
X2, I'd love to go to Montana! My wife and I have always talked about going. Must have been something about it in all those country songs I listened to when I was a kid. Ah, maybe one day. I got a BIGGASS 2 1/2 in crecent from my dad, no more worries about tightening big nuts now! Pipe wrench worked before that, I think that's the simple name for a tongue and groove. A big crecent will come in handy for adj trk bar jam nuts and bolts also.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Junkie

GONETOSHOOT dropped of a pipe wrench and a crecent. The cresent wasnt big enough. I turned the arms in one full turn today. It took about 15 minutes. I just used a rachet strap to pull the axle back to get the bolts to go back through. Super easy.

Would it be a good idea to have the alignement checked again? When you change caster doesnt it affect toe also?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by kntr
GONETOSHOOT dropped of a pipe wrench and a crecent. The cresent wasnt big enough. I turned the arms in one full turn today. It took about 15 minutes. I just used a rachet strap to pull the axle back to get the bolts to go back through. Super easy.

Would it be a good idea to have the alignement checked again? When you change caster doesnt it affect toe also?
Your toe should be fine, it wouldn't have changed enough to matter. I wouldn't bring it back in, they might mess it up. You still gettin any vibes now?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Just out of curiosity, what angle is the vertical center line of the front diff with 6-7 degrees of caster ?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Your toe should be fine, it wouldn't have changed enough to matter. I wouldn't bring it back in, they might mess it up. You still gettin any vibes now?
I havent gone for a test drive yet. We are having a crazy snow storm right now and the roads are all snow packed. I wouldn't be able to tell if the vibe was gone or not. It was barely there before.

I did have to fix the boot on the driveline. The boot had pulled out from under the clamp. I took the clamp off and pulled the boot back straight and then put the clamp back on. It should be good to go for awhile. Ill have to watch it.

I might take it to the alignment shop in a month or so. Ill tell them to not mess with the castor and I want to watch them do the alignment.

Last edited by kntr; 01-05-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by CJtoJK
Just out of curiosity, what angle is the vertical center line of the front diff with 6-7 degrees of caster ?
I'm geometrically challenged I was lucky to read the angle finder right. I have to have a picture of what you want to figure that one out.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Think I got it figured out. Like this from the pass side / like this from the front l or maybe this \ if your on the driver side.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kntr
I havent gone for a test drive yet. We are having a crazy snow storm right now and the roads are all snow packed. I wouldn't be able to tell if the vibe was gone or not. It was barely there before.

I did have to fix the boot on the driveline. The boot had pulled out from under the clamp. I took the clamp off and pulled the boot back straight and then put the clamp back on. It should be good to go for awhile. Ill have to watch it.

I might take it to the alignment shop in a month or so. Ill tell them to not mess with the castor and I want to watch them do the alignment.
good to hear! I think you should be good to go now. Dont worry about the angle now. Its probably about 5-6 and that is great! 4 degrees is stock so you are still better driving then stock caster.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Think I got it figured out. Like this from the pass side / like this from the front l or maybe this \ if your on the driver side.
X2

Quick Reply: Superlift help