Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superlift help

Old 12-05-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superlift help

I had a 4" Superlift put on last year by AEV. For the most part it drives pretty nice. I do have a couple issues though. The steering wheel moves side to side when I go over bumps. Also, the Jeep follows the grooves in the road and is a handful to drive someimes. What would make it drive better? Would lower control arms make if track better? I had AEV install a Superlift steering stabilizer and it helped a little. Ive had a lot of lifted vehicles in the past with big tires, but the Jeep follows the groves worse than any other lifted vehicle I have owned. I think it just needs more caster. I really want to get a Hemi installed soon but I would like to get the handling fixed first.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine drives better since I added TF frt lowers.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:19 PM
JK Junkie

How does it drive differently?
Old 12-05-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you've already figured it out yourself. The steering your describing is similar to how mine felt after I put the 3" BD in and the TF front lower arms BEFORE I had them dialed in, felt very susceptable to the slightest groove in the road, I have to believe this is what others have described as the 'flighty' steering not too much unlike a flighty girlfriend (jk)...got it back in the garage and measured the caster at +1.5....adjusted the lower arms til I had a +5.5 caster and it feels WAY better....if you can, I'd say get yourself some teraflex lower arms and try it out, good luck

Last edited by BlackNorthernJK; 12-05-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2008, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

How hard are they to install? I have the cams installed now.

How did you measure the caster?

Last edited by kntr; 12-05-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:52 PM
JK Super Freak

I used this write up here http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
and the exact same angle finder I found at home depot for 12 bucks.
If you already have the cam bolts installed you should have the ability to adjust your caster already, or have you maxed it out? I'm not familiar enough with them cause I chose not to instal mine.
Regarding the above link, I know that there has been some discussion here going really in depth with caster and alignment and adjustments and some concern has been raised over the writeup however, I can say that I used the write up and it worked great for me, no issues at all.
I believe someone here installed adjustable arms after cams were installed and had their setup work just fine.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Super Freak

just as an idea, it only took me about 35-45 min to instal my control arms, not difficult at all providing you have a torque wrench, strong arm, impact socket or (not needed but) an impact gun makes the job quick
Old 12-05-2008, 08:06 PM
JK Super Freak

I put on the Superlift control arms when I put on my 4" Superlift kit and it drives better than it did with the 2" lift and the stock arms. I just set the length to what Superlift recommended for the 4" lift. Even if you go with a different brand of control arms, you could probably get the instructions for the length off of the superlift website.

An hour or so should knock it out, but I'd plan for 2-3 hours to be on the safe side.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MOWrangler
...Even if you go with a different brand of control arms, you could probably get the instructions for the length off of the superlift website.

...An hour or so should knock it out, but I'd plan for 2-3 hours to be on the safe side.
TeraFlex has suggested lengths as well....

...and good point, how often do things ever go according to plans and timelines hey
Old 12-05-2008, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

CONTROL ARMS you are going to see a big difference because your caster is not corrected.Right now your caster is less than 4.7 USUALLY every manufacturer
recommenced a distance for each set of control arms.Also you have to think in driveshafts

Quick Reply: Superlift help