Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superlift (4") vs. Black Diamond (3") Lift Kits

Old 09-09-2007, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Superlift (4") vs. Black Diamond (3") Lift Kits

Alright guys, I've been looking at getting the 4" Superlift Kit for my Jeep. I wanted to see the difference between the Superlift and the Black Diamond kit. I know Superlift owns Black Diamond and I know from being in the engineering world that it doesn't make a lot of sense to develop and test two different systems under the same company umbrella. Interchangeable parts are always the key. I got on Superlift's website and went through each kit's installation instructions Superlift Kit (K920) Form 5704 and Black Diamond's Kit (700610) Form 90039. They are exactly the same.... The only thing that changes between 2-Door and 4-Door kits are the rear springs 01-561 (4-Door) to 01-562 (2-Door) which also is the same for both kits.

So now I have a few questions: The Superlift kit runs around $575 w/ shocks and the Black Diamond kit runs around $625 w/ shocks. Are the shocks the same also, or is it only a sticker? Looking at wheel/tire recommendations: Superlift recommends up to 37X13.50/17 with 4.5" backspacing, Black Diamond only recommends up to 35X12.50/17 with 4.5" backspacing. If they are the same kits, why would this information not agree and again why is the Black Diamond kit more expensive?

Thanks in advance......
Old 09-09-2007, 02:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BackInBlack
Alright guys, I've been looking at getting the 4" Superlift Kit for my Jeep. I wanted to see the difference between the Superlift and the Black Diamond kit. I know Superlift owns Black Diamond and I know from being in the engineering world that it doesn't make a lot of sense to develop and test two different systems under the same company umbrella. Interchangeable parts are always the key. I got on Superlift's website and went through each kit's installation instructions Superlift Kit (K920) Form 5704 and Black Diamond's Kit (700610) Form 90039. They are exactly the same.... The only thing that changes between 2-Door and 4-Door kits are the rear springs 01-561 (4-Door) to 01-562 (2-Door) which also is the same for both kits.

So now I have a few questions: The Superlift kit runs around $575 w/ shocks and the Black Diamond kit runs around $625 w/ shocks. Are the shocks the same also, or is it only a sticker? Looking at wheel/tire recommendations: Superlift recommends up to 37X13.50/17 with 4.5" backspacing, Black Diamond only recommends up to 35X12.50/17 with 4.5" backspacing. If they are the same kits, why would this information not agree and again why is the Black Diamond kit more expensive?

Thanks in advance......
Beats me. However, I do know that Superlift is the company that works closely with DC. So as far as warranty issues go, your dealer may be a little more lenient if you go with Superlift, then again, maybe not.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FunN4Lo
Beats me. However, I do know that Superlift is the company that works closely with DC. So as far as warranty issues go, your dealer may be a little more lenient if you go with Superlift, then again, maybe not.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been contemplating this very question...Maybe I can get a hold of Brent at Superlift. Bump
Old 09-09-2007, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChopperKrawler
I have been contemplating this very question...Maybe I can get a hold of Brent at Superlift. Bump
Let me know what you find out from Brent.... Also ask him if Superlift gives a discount to Diamler employees:-)
Old 09-09-2007, 08:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FunN4Lo
i orginally got the black diamond 3 " and loved it untill i added a body armour bumper on the back and gas and tire and not only lost my rake i ended up with my nose up, i since put the 4" springs in the rear and it rides like a chnmp load3ed or otherwise but dump the cheap shocks and get the rancho adjustables. my 2 sense.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 PM
JK Super Freak

FWIW I called Superlift and talked to one of the techs. He said the springs for the 3" and 4" kits are definitely different, and that whoever wrote the manual probably did a lot of copying/pasting when they put the instructions together.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
FWIW I called Superlift and talked to one of the techs. He said the springs for the 3" and 4" kits are definitely different, and that whoever wrote the manual probably did a lot of copying/pasting when they put the instructions together.
RedRockJK is right, the Black Diamond kit and the Superlift kit are the same with the exception of the springs. Thanks for the follow up RedRockJK.

The rest of this was posted on another thread on our forum. I'm only posting it here to give you guys some more information:

I called a couple "off-road" dealers and asked what the difference was in the kits, they confirmed that the kits were exactly the same, just in a different box. That of course wasn't good enough for me either, so yesterday I contacted Superlift directly and asked the question along with several other things that I needed to know. Superlift explained to me the only difference in the basic kits are the SPRINGS. The Black Diamond springs are approx. 1" shorter than the Superlift springs. I also asked about replacing the drivelines on a 2DR with the 4" kit, since that is such a heavy concern on our forum. Superlift explained that the 2DR JK they have been proving, the same one that all of the write-ups (JP) have been about is still running the factory drivelines. He also said that they have "grenaded" 2 rearends putting this jeep through the paces, "with the factory drivelines". Superlift does NOT recommend that the factory drivelines be replaced, they are selling on the fact that their kit is dialed in so well. The next concern of mine was the upper and lower links, since the basic kit does not include them. He stated that most of their testing was actually done with the factory links. The handling characteristics were great with the addition of the alignment cams to correct the caster angle. The guy that I spoke with was not in sales; rather he was closely involved with the design of the system. He also commented on how the other (more expensive) suspension manufacturers have laughed and criticized the Superlift package when they show up to run, only to find out the Superlift kit is equal, if not better than their's, and for less money..... I've run Superlift on previous vehicles and never had any complaints, so my decision is made. Other’s prefer a different company, that’s fine, everyone has their own opinion. Nobody wants to believe the system they have sunk so much money into isn't the premier system on the market, so you're going to get tons of opinions on which is the best. This is just my opinion.....
Old 09-22-2007, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default anyone check out petersons 4 wheel and offroad magazine?

Just a note, thought i would mention that in Last months inssue of petersons 4wheel and offroad magazine, they tested 8 new suspension lifts, on the new jk, and that blackdiamond/superlift came out in second place behind donahue racing which costed about 3.5 times the price of the black diamond/superlift kit.

Pretty good!!

Quick Reply: Superlift (4") vs. Black Diamond (3") Lift Kits