Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchips Traildash worth it?

Old 06-26-2014, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have one on my 14 JKUR and like it a lot. I think the only extra features for the Rubicon are it's ability to engage the sway disconnects and lockers in 4HI (which is very nice). The touchscreen display (can also be used as a camera monitor) with customizable gauges and an inclinometer make it nice for any jeep.

The reviews I've read said the tunes really made a big difference onthe 3.8L jeeps. I haven't had a chance to try out any of the tunes except the 87 Performance tune...which seems fairly close to stock to me (but the 3.6 performs pretty well already). Perhaps the other tunes (93 & 91 performance, towing, crawl, and I think there is a economy tune) would make a more noticable difference from the stock tune. Your 08 JK will probably benifit from the transmission performance tuning (that's not available for the 12-14 JKs).

It's a little pricey, but even without the tuning, it's a nice unit and worth having.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would also be interested in more of its abilities and reports on its effectiveness in the realm of effect on fuel economy.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Semi-off topic as not Traildash specific but.... As I read the OP's inquiry I see two elements: one is related to tuning, the other to monitoring performance data.

For tuning I use the Superchips Flashcal upgraded to the Flaspaq 3872 if I remember the numbers right. Net expense $330 for the original need (adjust for tire/wheel size) and then to play with the Pentastar 3.6L tunes. I have tried all the tunes very scientifically and have not seen an increase in mpg but have had a lot more fun driving my 2012 JK. The other tweaks like DRL and killing the tpms function are cool too.

I used the term "scientifically" I also run an a Kiwi Wifi OBD2 eat work that interfaces with my iPhone using an app called DashCommand. It reports an extensive amount of data about mpg, temps, load MAP, MAF, Timing, transmission shift points, on and on. I use screenshots of that data to compare with my mileage calculations to see if I am really comparing like gas consumption such as ave. speed, number of stops, time in various gears etc. without that ancillary data it looks on paper like my mpgs are better with this or that tune but broken down it really just nets down to fun factor for my JK. Net cost $175.

Adds up to costing more than the TrailDash I would think...

OK... GET A LIFE YOU SAY. This kind if stuff is all just fun and interesting. In the end I got more mpgs out of dialing in proper tire pressure... But it does make me laugh to drift a Jeep and paint some pavement black. Freaks out my friends too... To each his own.

Last words. Getting a tuner to set my auto trans shift points right for me was worth the $ itself. No regrets.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deathbox
Semi-off topic as not Traildash specific but.... As I read the OP's inquiry I see two elements: one is related to tuning, the other to monitoring performance data. For tuning I use the Superchips Flashcal upgraded to the Flaspaq 3872 if I remember the numbers right. Net expense $330 for the original need (adjust for tire/wheel size) and then to play with the Pentastar 3.6L tunes. I have tried all the tunes very scientifically and have not seen an increase in mpg but have had a lot more fun driving my 2012 JK. The other tweaks like DRL and killing the tpms function are cool too. I used the term "scientifically" I also run an a Kiwi Wifi OBD2 eat work that interfaces with my iPhone using an app called DashCommand. It reports an extensive amount of data about mpg, temps, load MAP, MAF, Timing, transmission shift points, on and on. I use screenshots of that data to compare with my mileage calculations to see if I am really comparing like gas consumption such as ave. speed, number of stops, time in various gears etc. without that ancillary data it looks on paper like my mpgs are better with this or that tune but broken down it really just nets down to fun factor for my JK. Net cost $175. Adds up to costing more than the TrailDash I would think... OK... GET A LIFE YOU SAY. This kind if stuff is all just fun and interesting. In the end I got more mpgs out of dialing in proper tire pressure... But it does make me laugh to drift a Jeep and paint some pavement black. Freaks out my friends too... To each his own. Last words. Getting a tuner to set my auto trans shift points right for me was worth the $ itself. No regrets.
Thank you everyone for the input. Some of my friends have talked me into just going with either the AEV Procal or a Superchips and save the extra money and get an LSD for the front and rear since I'm doing gears/tires and truss/gusset all at the same time.

I am interested in your OBD2 that hooks up to your iphone Deathbox. tell me more, tell me more!!!! Lol
Old 07-11-2014, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

What's the general consensus...
So performance/mpg improvements:
1. Worth the $ ?
2. TrailDash top of the line or anyone recommend another product (DiabloSport ext...) ?
Old 07-26-2014, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKG33K
What's the general consensus...
So performance/mpg improvements:
1. Worth the $ ?
2. TrailDash top of the line or anyone recommend another product (DiabloSport ext...) ?
Worth the money? Yes!

Traildash is top of the line unless you want custom tunes, then I would go DiabloSport. I personally think the out of the box tunes will be fine, I don't think I'll need custom tunes (+I have a Rubi) so I just bought a TrailDash. PM me if you're looking for a good price with great customer service and I'll show you were I purchased mine.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChrisNAngus
Worth the money? Yes!

Traildash is top of the line unless you want custom tunes, then I would go DiabloSport. I personally think the out of the box tunes will be fine, I don't think I'll need custom tunes (+I have a Rubi) so I just bought a TrailDash. PM me if you're looking for a good price with great customer service and I'll show you were I purchased mine.
I am looking to purchase the Traildash for my 2014 JK also, but was told to hold off on it for a couple months. I just bought the jeep so no mods to it or anything yet. But some people said not to get it yet because it is fairly new to the 2014's and there are still some bugs to be fixed in it. Obvisouly you can keep updating it if nesseccary but just wondering if it is worth buying now or should i just wait? No rush on my end, I can wait either way but just trying to get some insight on what you think since you have a 2014 JK.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by groth797
I am looking to purchase the Traildash for my 2014 JK also, but was told to hold off on it for a couple months. I just bought the jeep so no mods to it or anything yet. But some people said not to get it yet because it is fairly new to the 2014's and there are still some bugs to be fixed in it. Obvisouly you can keep updating it if nesseccary but just wondering if it is worth buying now or should i just wait? No rush on my end, I can wait either way but just trying to get some insight on what you think since you have a 2014 JK.
14s have been out for almost a full year now, so i dont see how the bugs arent worked out by now. and as far as i know everything the tuner does can be reversed to factory stock with your tuner if something does pop up that annoys you about it.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Gotcha, yea I'm new to the jeep works and that's what some people were saying but I just wanted some clarity!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

People with 2012 and up, where did you mount it?

Quick Reply: Superchips Traildash worth it?