Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchips Road Tests Specified

Old 09-18-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atl JK
I never tried the newer 93 tune.

The highest grade you can get here is 91 tune, but back in Atlanta I ran 93 octane gas most of the time.
Assuming that Superchips did their tuning at sea level, it should be fine to run the 93 tune with 91 octane gas in Denver or higher altitudes. In Denver, the cylinder pressures should be about 17% lower than sea level since the air pressure is that much lower.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, one crazy thing about the increase in altitude is that I'm also getting a nice increase in MPG. Not the big decrease in power that I expected either. Not until I hit the mtns at least...
Old 09-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never tried the newer 93 tune.

The highest grade you can get here is 91 tune, but back in Atlanta I ran 93 octane gas most of the time.
So are you going to change your name to DEN JK? yep, I'm in the airline business.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Foo
So are you going to change your name to DEN JK? yep, I'm in the airline business.
I should.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:09 AM
JK Junkie

Yeah, one crazy thing about the increase in altitude is that I'm also getting a nice increase in MPG. Not the big decrease in power that I expected either. Not until I hit the mtns at least...
I saw that you had mentioned that before and I did a little math to figure out how that could happen and also how the motor reacts to less air. On the motor side, the MAP sensor is going to get you the same amount of air pushed through the cylinders whether your at sea level or 5,000 feet. The only difference would be at WOT where at altitude you wouldn't be able to get the same amount of air in. The advantage is that you're moving a vehicle with a large drag coefficient through thinner air. The thinner air is going to decrease your drag by about 20%, or at 70mph and 5,000 feet about 40lbs less.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GregD
Assuming that Superchips did their tuning at sea level, it should be fine to run the 93 tune with 91 octane gas in Denver or higher altitudes. In Denver, the cylinder pressures should be about 17% lower than sea level since the air pressure is that much lower.
It's not going to make any difference (my apologies to those I gave a different answer to previously) running at altitude as the MAP sensor is what's going to decide what the appropriate fuel mixture is, not the existing air density of the locale. The volume of air needed at sea level or 5,000 feet remains the same to run at 2500rpm and the only thing that would change would be the throttle body blade position to adjust the amount of negative pressure in the intake manifold.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop
It's not going to make any difference (my apologies to those I gave a different answer to previously) running at altitude as the MAP sensor is what's going to decide what the appropriate fuel mixture is, not the existing air density of the locale. The volume of air needed at sea level or 5,000 feet remains the same to run at 2500rpm and the only thing that would change would be the throttle body blade position to adjust the amount of negative pressure in the intake manifold.
But your peak cylinder pressures, which occur at wide open throttle, will be about 17% less. My understanding is that peak cylinder pressures assuming the rest of the tune remains the same, determine the octane requirements of the fuel.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GregD
But your peak cylinder pressures, which occur at wide open throttle, will be about 17% less. My understanding is that peak cylinder pressures assuming the rest of the tune remains the same, determine the octane requirements of the fuel.
Because the 3.8L JK engine is a MAP system everything is calculated from manifold air (or absolute) pressure. At WOT/Open Loop I'm unsure as to how the fuel needs are calculated, and if there is an assumed amount of air density. I will check next week and see what I can find out as everything on SC's forum has no indication that a drop in octane is required at altitude.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop
Because the 3.8L JK engine is a MAP system everything is calculated from manifold air (or absolute) pressure. At WOT/Open Loop I'm unsure as to how the fuel needs are calculated, and if there is an assumed amount of air density. I will check next week and see what I can find out as everything on SC's forum has no indication that a drop in octane is required at altitude.
My experience has been with other cars that have had a tendency to ping at sea level seem to have no problems with the same octane gas at altitude. I've also read that peak cylinder pressures are the primary determinant of the octane requirement.

With a MAP sensor the amount of fuel should be matched to the amount of air going into the engine. If there is a default map for WOT, the engine would run very rich at altitude; at that point the readings from the oxygen sensors should signal the computer to reduce the amount of fuel, and correct the mixture. But I don't think any of this matters for the octane requirement since it won't impact the peak cylinder pressures, which will go down in direct proportion to the density of the air ingested into the engine.

I'm not an expert on the subject, just somewhat knowledgeable, but it's my understanding of the reason why.

Last edited by GregD; 09-19-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Do you guys leave the flashpaq plugged in or put it away.

Quick Reply: Superchips Road Tests Specified