Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchips question

Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips question

i bought and installed the superchips flash programer on my jeep. i was keeping the programer in my glove box. the only night i didnt lock my jeep, someone decided to take that among other things. so currently my jeep is set on the performance mode. can i buy a new one and use it or am i just stuck now?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default superchips

good question!! im interested in finding out how u make out!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Hyper Tech programmer installed on my Jk. I took the jeep to the dealer for a recall and when I got it back it was no longer programmed and had to reinstall. With that said, maybe you can take it to a dealer and have them reset it.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

unfortunately, the way the flash programmers work, is they pull the stock program and "save" it in the programmer itself. It gets swapped for the "performance tune". So, if the tuner disappears or is stolen, your stock program is out there running around with it.
The only solution if you ever want to return to stock, would be to have a local dealership reflash the pcm back to stock, then you could start over with a new tuner if you wanted. Sorry I couldn't give you better news....

justin

Originally Posted by DMB1685
i bought and installed the superchips flash programer on my jeep. i was keeping the programer in my glove box. the only night i didnt lock my jeep, someone decided to take that among other things. so currently my jeep is set on the performance mode. can i buy a new one and use it or am i just stuck now?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ORWJK
unfortunately, the way the flash programmers work, is they pull the stock program and "save" it in the programmer itself. It gets swapped for the "performance tune". So, if the tuner disappears or is stolen, your stock program is out there running around with it.
The only solution if you ever want to return to stock, would be to have a local dealership reflash the pcm back to stock, then you could start over with a new tuner if you wanted. Sorry I couldn't give you better news....

justin
So my question is this,
I just upgraded to a Ripp supercharger and now my super chips unit is no longer needed, if I sell it will it work for the new owner?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rpompea
So my question is this,
I just upgraded to a Ripp supercharger and now my super chips unit is no longer needed, if I sell it will it work for the new owner?
i would think you would have to reset the programer or somehting. this is a pain in the ass, stupid theives.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Raiderfan001
Just need to restore the stock tune again and it will unlock the tuner from your VIN.
oh thats easy enough. so the person that stole mine cant even use it correct?
Old 02-01-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

yeah your probly right. this is such a hassle now.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Looks like someone already answered, but yes it will. you just have to pull out the programming and return yours back to stock. Then, someone else can use the programmer.

Originally Posted by rpompea
So my question is this,
Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Pretty much. It's currently locked to your vin, so without spending <$100 and going through Superchips, it won't do the dirty thief any good. Still annoying though, no doubt.

Originally Posted by DMB1685
oh thats easy enough. so the person that stole mine cant even use it correct?

Quick Reply: Superchips question