Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchips and OCTANE at different elevations

Old 10-17-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips and OCTANE at different elevations

So what do you use on your superchips setting?
What is the best octane setting for different elevations?
What is the best octane setting for different elevations at different seasons?

Example, What octane setting should you use for Oklahoma at low elevation in the humid hot summer vs the cold icy winter octane settings?
Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't need to adjust the octane setting for elevation or season, as the computer should adjust. Granted, I don't have the Superchip on this vehicle. But I had similar programmers on 2 previous vehicles and never adjusted for elevation or temperature and always ran both on premium tune. The only time I had issues was when I visited California in my custom supercharged Explorer and had to run octane booster to account for their 91 (@ sea level) max octane and turn down the timing as much as possible. I didn't have to run booster in the mountains, even with premium down into the 80s.

And my GTI with it's more sophisticated computer didn't care a lick and adjusted happily.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would 91 tune be best suited for higher or lower climates. I know this is a technical question and probably doesnt matter but I read that the reason why higher climate regions will have less octane gas because of thinner air. So in theory it would be best to run higher octane as a 91 tune in lower elevations such as Oklahoma. Maybe getting ahead of myself
Old 10-18-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, it doesn't matter. No matter the tune, if the air is colder it will be more dense. If the elevation is lower, it will be more dense. With either tune you will have more power with denser air. It all comes down to if you want to buy premium gas and have some more horses compared to the lower octane tune.

Quick Reply: Superchips and OCTANE at different elevations