Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchips helped me love the one I'm with

Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips helped me love the one I'm with

[SUP][/SUP]Ok, so let me start by saying I love my 2010 jk, and I bought it for suspension and rugedness, not horsepower. That said, I have had trouble not thinking minivan every time I tried to merge into highway traffic. When I test drove a 2012, that minivan feeling almost had me forking out 10 G's (2012 minus trade) to rid myself of it.

Cat back, throttle body spacer, and cold air intake all helped, but I still couldn't fully enjoy my rig. One last mod before dropping the 10 grand, and a highly skeptical jeep enthusiast with an engineering background installed a flashpack tuner.

I love my jeep again. Simple as that. Result: it definitely didn't turn my 3.8 into a modern v6 or anything, but it made it much more fun to drive. I'm sure most of the differnence wouldn't be that impressive on a dyno, but you feel it just the same. I spent some time with the tunes to try to understand if this was just wishful thinking on my part. I don't think so. The engine does seem to get more out of each cylinder stroke, but the real difference is in th automatic transmission programming. No longer does my jeep get confused when trying to select a gear and frequently second guess itself. It shift to the right place right away. That alone made it worth the money and had a surprising impact on drivability.

10 grand now seems like way too much to justify the better engine. I'd probably think differently if I had a 6 speed, because I'm not sur the difference would have been as dramatic.

I read a bunch of posts before I bought the flashpack. I hate the ridiculous hp/torque increases all the tuner companies use to market their stuff. Makes you skeptical of the whole thing and forces people to ask themselves why Chrysler wouldnt have a better tune from the factory. Having made my $340 bet on my flashback, I am convinced that superchip's tune is definitely superior. Having workine for a multinational engineering company, my guess is this is about specialization. Car manufacturers have to be generalists.

Whatever the reason, I'd say the product is worth the money in my experience.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

SC tune does seem to breathe life into the 3.8, I'm running the 91 tune until i get regeared.

Also have Screamin Demon coil and Livewires - not sure if it adds more power but it did help with mileage and makes it feel more responsive.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:51 AM
JK Freak

Default i am considering this too

So tell me what are running fuel wise? and what tune are you using? Can i run reg 8 fuel with an 89 or 91 tune? what happens then ? Or do I have to run the 89 or 91 fuel? Also do you get any increased milage by running an 89 or 91 tune? if so how much? Thanks
Old 09-25-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

run the correct fuel for the tune - can't run lower octane with 91 tune, it'll run rough.

I run the 91 because after tracking mileage I found with my driving habits my cost per mile was cheaper using 91 tune and octane.

The 87 works great, but because I have 35's and 4.10 gears, i like the extra boost I feel with the 91 tune.

I get new gears next week and once I get them broken in I plan to return to 87 tune and see how it does.

Also check the ethanol % next time you fill up. last trip out of state I filled up at a station and noticed it had 15% E not the normal 10%.

I noticed the difference and had to put in a bottle of octane boost, which helped.

Last edited by jeeeep; 09-25-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default Superchip

I made the exact changes to my 2010 Sahara including the SC. We have 93 octane everywhere and to maximize performance, that's what I programmed in. My off the line torque seems to be much better as well as performance at turnpike speeds (typically 75-85). My mpg was also improved 1-2 mpg. It may be a little more expensive to run the 93, but I like the response I get - not a hot rod but good enough until I hit the lotto and send it to Hennessey!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Ive been using 93 with the tow tune and I like the performance I get out of it. Just finished a 1000 mile road trip through the mountains...pulled great up the hills for once!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any of you tried the advanced transmission
tuning to change shift points?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default recomend it or not?

So I have been reading all the reviews, I want to make my jeep so that it can handle the Colorado Springs hills on the Highways, I am running 33" KM2's on my daily driver '08 Sahara. It is very very sluggish on hills, which is my main issue, but the throttle response has been an issue since I bought it, I had to replace the computer a few months ago, but it didn't make much of a difference in the throttle responce.

Would you recomend the Flashpack or something else...if somethinge else please let me know what and why....I have just started thinking about getting a tuner.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Excuse my ignorance but i dont understand what does the octanes have to do with the power you guys feel, the compresion relation doesnt change so no need for a high octane fuel, what does the tuning change regarding fuel type?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM
JK Freak

correct - compression doesn't change but the timing does to take better advantage of the higher octane ignition properties.

Quick Reply: Superchips helped me love the one I'm with