Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchips Flashpaq runs---Auto Tranny.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alfmoonspace
has anyone tired the 4hi lockers setting on the superchips?
It seems as if that portion of the tuner isn't complete and we're still waiting for it. I haven't been able to check for an update recently and I haven't seen anyone make mention of it.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by chuck45
Gears really are the secret with the JK. A lot of people resist it and a lot of shops haven't done enough to know. Just don't be afraid to let the 3.8 rev and get up into the band where it is happiest (2600-3000).
For the weight of your vehicle and an auto transmission that is definitely the right solution. There is a huge spread between gears on the automatic and the final driveline ratio is right around 20% less gear than the 6 speed. I'll jump on that bus with you every time with the automatic person upgrading their gears first as I couldn't stand driving around in a vehicle that had to go BWAAAAAAA with a downshift to climb a little bit of a hill. But again, it's not as imperative for the manual transmission JK that has more gear in the transmission off the lot.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by alfmoonspace
has anyone tired the 4hi lockers setting on the superchips?
I don't have a rubi, which I believe is required, so I can't run that test.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by beadbus
when I change gears, where do get the speedo corrected?
Flashpaq allows for entry of varied gears. Just enter in new gear ratio.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPop
Your shop sounds to be right. If going from OD to third doesn't cover you and you need to drop to second, then you are pretty painfully off. Sounds like you're definitely over 5,000lbs as well and a programmer isn't going to help you much when you are already 30% under the rpm range you need to be.

My '08 Rubicon Unlimited weighs 4400 lbs. I was under the assumption that his is stock...
Old 04-19-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Ordering FLASHPAQ this week...Thanks for all the info guys...
Old 04-19-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I got my gears all the JK aftermarket gears were made by Superior regardless of the name on the box. I don't know if any other makers have entered the fray.

As to gear callibration the AEV Procal will do it as will the Superchip. Maybe gears and a Superchip would make a great combo. I can tell you that if you do the gears you will be very happy. With your 32's 4.88's will put you at 2650 rpm at 75. 5.13's would put you at 2787 at 75. A friend who has 35's now ran 5.13's with 33's and really liked the power. Gears really are the secret with the JK. A lot of people resist it and a lot of shops haven't done enough to know. Just don't be afraid to let the 3.8 rev and get up into the band where it is happiest (2600-3000).
Woudl it be wrong to go with the 513?
When I order gears, do I specify a specific brand? If I have an extended Chrysler warranty, should I do this through a good JEEP dealer that I bought the vehicle.

I appreciate you help as the shops just have no ideas..
Old 04-19-2009, 09:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by beadbus
Woudl it be wrong to go with the 513?
When I order gears, do I specify a specific brand? If I have an extended Chrysler warranty, should I do this through a good JEEP dealer that I bought the vehicle.

I appreciate you help as the shops just have no ideas..
The last place I would want to do gears is a dealership. It is a rare dealership that has enough expereince with them. A good 4WD shop or driveline shop that does lots of gears is the place to go. I guess I wouldn't worry about the warranty. Jeep doesn't offer anything above 4.10 so even if a dealer did the work they'd be using aftermarket parts and they wouldn't be warranteed.

As to brand I don't know if anybody but Superior is actually making gears right now. When my gears were done they didn't come in a Superior box but they have Superiors coding on them. I have heard that another mfg may have entered the market a few months ago.

As to gear selection what do you have (auto or stick 2 or 4 dr, lightly loaded or heavy like mine), are you at elevation in the mountains or a flatlander at sea level, is it a DD or a weekend wheeling veheicle, if a DD do you commute long distances or a couple of miles and which is more important; power or economy?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

The last place I would want to do gears is a dealership. It is a rare dealership that has enough expereince with them. A good 4WD shop or driveline shop that does lots of gears is the place to go. I guess I wouldn't worry about the warranty. Jeep doesn't offer anything above 4.10 so even if a dealer did the work they'd be using aftermarket parts and they wouldn't be warranteed.

As to brand I don't know if anybody but Superior is actually making gears right now. When my gears were done they didn't come in a Superior box but they have Superiors coding on them. I have heard that another mfg may have entered the market a few months ago.

As to gear selection what do you have (auto or stick 2 or 4 dr, lightly loaded or heavy like mine), are you at elevation in the mountains or a flatlander at sea level, is it a DD or a weekend wheeling veheicle, if a DD do you commute long distances or a couple of miles and which is more important; power or economy?
It's great to see so many qualifying questions instead of the normal "get these", or "get that". There's no one right answer for everybody.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an automatic, and YES we have ARB front & rear bumpers, warn dual force heavy winch in front and side rails and lot of hitches.... Yes I have some weight.

Sometime we have 2-motorcycle in the rear receiver... 600-700 LBS too, but the power needs are all the time..

Thanks for all your info.

Steve

Quick Reply: Superchips Flashpaq runs---Auto Tranny.