Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchips Flashpaq runs---Auto Tranny.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Calypso
Uploaded mine on the computer, no problem. Hooked to Jeep and downloaded stock info, no problem. Tried to install new program it says vehicle not on file??
i am going thru the same glitch since friday. waiting for a file to upload from them. contacted them monday. e-mailed them this morning to see if its close to being ready. i would like to put this behind me this weekend...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/flashpac-update-81542/

Last edited by PA RUBICON; 04-16-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PA RUBICON
i am going thru the same glitch since friday. waiting for a file to upload from them. contacted them monday. e-mailed them this morning to see if its close to being ready. i would like to put this behind me this weekend...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81542

Yea, I remember reading that you had problems too. I talked to Al at Superchips this morning. Super nice guy. He told me the same thing that you are being told. He said that they would try and fix it today but knowing that you are having the same problem, I doubt it will be today. However, I'm not surprised of this little problem and I'm sure they'll fix it. Superchip stated that they know of the huge influence the forums have and that any problems with SC will be addressed.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Junkie

I had probs all weekend updating, but went through fine yesterday. A few things still missing, but nothing I really care about for right now.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default Got mine!

OK, I got my flashpaq Wednesday and tuned it to the 87 octane gas I already had in the tank. I also adjusted my spedo for my slightly larger tires.

First impressions; I can tell a pretty good difference in my low end torque pulling from a dead stop, which is really the reason I got the thing in the first place cuz my 3.73 gears ain't cutting it for me. The auto tranny shifts alot smoother and seems more precisely timed with the RPMs. It also seems to coast a little better at highway speeds. I didn't have any problems getting the flashpaq to tune my jeep either. I immediately ran and update online the second I pulled it out of the box.

So, today after I had run all of the 87 octane out of my tank I decided to fill it up with 93 octane and re-tune it with the performance 93 octane tune. Something weird has happened... it actually seems a little slower than with the 87 octane tune Maybe it's just me expecting more but I don't feel the low end torque that it had with the 87. Does anybody know if the 93 tune adjusts the power band for better top end hp instead of low end? Or am I just stupid or something? Probably me just being stupid I will try and re flash it with the 93 tune again to see if it changes things.

-Rich
Old 04-17-2009, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop
Low 9s was what I recorded on my 6 speed as well despite missing the 1-2 shift and hitting the rev limiter. That's certainly not race car speed, but it makes for an improvement in drivability.

Is it worth the cash, don't know because everyone is different in respects of how hard they want to squeeze a nickel and the value they put on performance from their vehicle.

Low 9's in the 1/4 mile would be worth the money.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by R1CH
OK, I got my flashpaq Wednesday and tuned it to the 87 octane gas I already had in the tank. I also adjusted my spedo for my slightly larger tires.

First impressions; I can tell a pretty good difference in my low end torque pulling from a dead stop, which is really the reason I got the thing in the first place cuz my 3.73 gears ain't cutting it for me. The auto tranny shifts alot smoother and seems more precisely timed with the RPMs. It also seems to coast a little better at highway speeds. I didn't have any problems getting the flashpaq to tune my jeep either. I immediately ran and update online the second I pulled it out of the box.

So, today after I had run all of the 87 octane out of my tank I decided to fill it up with 93 octane and re-tune it with the performance 93 octane tune. Something weird has happened... it actually seems a little slower than with the 87 octane tune Maybe it's just me expecting more but I don't feel the low end torque that it had with the 87. Does anybody know if the 93 tune adjusts the power band for better top end hp instead of low end? Or am I just stupid or something? Probably me just being stupid I will try and re flash it with the 93 tune again to see if it changes things.

-Rich
Ive always run 93 in it....and programmed accordingly....i notice quite a difference in take off. see first post.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by R1CH

-Rich
I spoke to the Superchips rep at EJS and he said there is not much to be gained by going with the higher octane tunes. He said they were aamzed at how well it did on 87. Apparently it is unusual for them to get as much as they do on 87. Maybe the 87 tune is the way to go on these. As 87 is cheaper it's not a bad thing as long as there is enough of a gain on 87.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 1stWaffleMkr
I am sub-9 hours on some of my runs!
Old 04-17-2009, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 1stWaffleMkr
Low 9's 0-60 would be worth the money. A JK doing low 9's in the 1/4 mile would be phenomenal; and damned epensive to do without spending a ton of money. For a streetable car to do low 9's is something.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by chuck45
I spoke to the Superchips rep at EJS and he said there is not much to be gained by going with the higher octane tunes. He said they were aamzed at how well it did on 87. Apparently it is unusual for them to get as much as they do on 87. Maybe the 87 tune is the way to go on these. As 87 is cheaper it's not a bad thing as long as there is enough of a gain on 87.
I think those comments are kind of a misnomer. The boost you can get is substantial with 87 Octane, just completed my first full tank of it, but there is definitely more power with their 93 tune. The compression ratio of the JK can support much higher Octanes at a compression ratio of 9.6:1, leaving it open for a specified tune that would run all the way up to the high 90s. Of course those fuels aren't readily available and as the octane goes up you have diminishing returns.

Octane doesn't add more power to fuel, it simply allows the fuel to burn longer. It also enables compressed fuel not to pre-ignite. Modern engines use knock sensors to advance the timing as far as possible with low octane quicker burning fuels and still prevent knocks or pings. Higher Octane fuels will allow the timing to be further advanced increasing the amount of time making power in the cylinder.

So my guess is though those words probably did come out of a Superchips rep's mouth, my guess is that there is simply a bigger jump from a stock JK running 87 to a Superchips tuned JK running 87, than from a Superchips tuned JK with 87 jumping to 93.

That said, I'll try to run a decent test on a longer road trip on the flats so I can see where the threshold difference is. Gas mileage is a pretty good indicator and perhaps it's not enough to make up the cost difference.

Quick Reply: Superchips Flashpaq runs---Auto Tranny.