Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchips, CAI, Crazy MPG increase and Christmas ideas.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips, CAI, Crazy MPG increase and Christmas ideas.

Hello all

First post, bc I keep reading conflicting information so I took a leap last week, bought a superchips programmer and AFE CAI from 4wheelparts. They had some deal going so literally the CAI cost me $50 more than just a K&N filter.

Completely stock sport unlimited
3.73 gears
Auto
285/70/17 BFG MT (Craigslist find 1/2 tread or so for $150 for all 4)
Dealership swapped out 16" wheels/tires for the 17" wheels

MPG before (only 1490 miles driven, overall avg. 14.6) By hand there should be a 12% give or take difference between 285/70 and the stock tires. so roughly 16.3

Superchips super 93 mode/CAI numbers after 1000 miles overall AVG. 19.3

Tow mode produces 17.5-18 after 500 miles

Completely un-scientific 0-60 tests

Stock (285/70 1/2 worn) - 12.1
Super 93 - 10.6
Tow Mode - 9.7

Question is: Ive been driving this thing like I stole it between the programmer and intake and my MPG are 3 better than hand corrected previous MPG.

On interstate at 75 I turn just under 2k rpm and average 21-22 MPG (on not quite 33" tires)

I have my superchips set for 31.8" tires after measuring them, and set for 3.73 ratio, my speedometer is right on, as close as can be set by a human anyway.

Does the CAI add to my MPG increase, or is this normal for jeeps?

Trying to decide what to buy my dad and sis for Christmas. We all bought new jeeps the same day and got ridiculous pricing by doing it. They are all 2010 models.

Question is:

The stereo suck in these things, I gutted mine 2 hours after leaving the dealership. Thanks to this forum I had all my parts ready to roll.

Do I replace their stereos with Mopar Kicker upgrades and headunits or should I buy them each a superchip programmer?
Old 11-25-2010, 05:36 AM
JK Super Freak

stero and speed never really ment that much to me on a jeep. i would ask the people that your buying gifts for what they want. they may suprise you and want something totally different. belive it or not some people won't even mess with there ecm and programing.

o and welcome to the forum.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they are going to larger than stock tires then the programmer would be useful otherwise they might want something else instead. I used to get really great mileage until I put on the 35s, still better than the f150 I traded for it though. Have fun with the new Jeeps and Happy Thanks Giving.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with cody, you could also get them a gift certificate to 4wd, quadra, etc. so they can pick what they want.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AdEcec

The stereo suck in these things, I gutted mine 2 hours after leaving the dealership. Thanks to this forum I had all my parts ready to roll.

Do I replace their stereos with Mopar Kicker upgrades and headunits or should I buy them each a superchip programmer?
Did you have the premium Infinity stereo in yours with the MYGIG? Other then the fact that there isn't a ton of low end I've always thought that this was the best stock stereo that I've ever had. I know that a good after market setup will blow it out of the water but I'd rather spend the money on other upgrades. That being said I'd buy them the FlashPaq. Best money I've spent so far.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats crazy i'd love to get that mpg

Quick Reply: Superchips, CAI, Crazy MPG increase and Christmas ideas.