Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchip Users In High Elevation (specifically high elevation)

Old 09-30-2011, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchip Users In High Elevation (specifically high elevation)

Since we only get 85 87 and 91 octane in Denver, I have been juggling the different setting with my superchips flashpaq. Just wondering what everyone else has tuned for fuel economy and power. I was running 87/XS tune and I thought it was crap.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:15 PM
MJC
JK Newbie

I run the tow tune on 91 and have gotten between 17-20mpg consistently. I don't drive like I'm 16 anymore and keep it light and not weighted down.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I had a procal for the tires/gears. Went to the flashpaq 87 tune/gas, and noticed no difference at all from the basic procal calibration. Tried 91 tune/gas, and it was actually a bit worse performance than the 87. Saw some good feedback on the tow tune with 91, so tried it. Tow was by far the best performance for me. Not huge, just the best increase from the tunes I had tried. (I have not messed with the shift settings, so the tow tune shift points may have had a lot to do with the 'felt' performance increase). I even tried the tow tune with 87 for a while, and didn't notice any difference from tow with 91.

As far as mpg's go, I haven't seen much, if any, change with in-town mileage using any of the flashpaq settings. Freeway, I picked up 1 - 1.5mpg or so, I believe from being able to stay in OD longer before the downshifts. (hard to nail down firm number because I don't spend a lot of time on the freeway, and rarely drive the same stretches often enough to compare).

Best advice is to just experiment and see what works or you.

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-30-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Does having OD off make a big difference?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MJC
I run the tow tune on 91 and have gotten between 17-20mpg consistently. I don't drive like I'm 16 anymore and keep it light and not weighted down.
I've had to learn not to be so heavy footed as well. I have to keep in mind, it's not a rice rocket.... It's a Jeep. I didn't get a Jeep to go fast.

Have you tried tow tune with 87 octane?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by G520
Does having OD off make a big difference?
It raises your rpm's by forcing the transmission to use 3rd instead of going up to 4th. Higher rpm's means more HP and torque, so yes, it can make a big difference with the power. Also makes a big difference in the mpg's. Just depends on your gears and tires and whether or not you can hold OD at freeway speeds.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:12 PM
MJC
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by G520
I've had to learn not to be so heavy footed as well. I have to keep in mind, it's not a rice rocket.... It's a Jeep. I didn't get a Jeep to go fast.

Have you tried tow tune with 87 octane?
Yes, on accident and had the octane knock, so I stay at 91.

Quick Reply: Superchip Users In High Elevation (specifically high elevation)