Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchip killed my jeep

Old 02-17-2021, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchip killed my jeep

Just an FYI.
bought a superchip 3571 flash cal.
plugged it in to my STOCK Jeep. Looked at a few options. Unplugged it, I’ll use it when the lift and tires go on in a few weeks.
1 week later , had to use the Jeep , it snowed,.... Jeep, out of the drive way, says I’m doing 100.
weird, plugged flash cal in, hit return to stock, just in case I accidentally hit something. Says it can’t talk to BCM.
OK, must have a mouse issue or wiring, it’s a 2010 after all.
towed into dealer. 2 weeks later, dealer says we found the issue. The flash cal is faulty. Corrupts the bcm.
with KEY ON, ENGINE OFF, truck says it’s doing 3-4 mph... and we tested all sensors, no input.
we reset the bcm, test drove, all ok. Plugged in flash cal, same issue...
reset, recommend not using device.
called Superchips. THEY REFUSE TO PAY FOR THE DIAGNOSTIC. Or the tow.
says they could have fixed it over the phone.
..... why would I call them first? That assumes I thought the flash cal was bad already.
so. Dealer proved 100% faulty pac.... Superchips says nope, not our problem.
now I gotta go to court.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Good luck with court. You’re better off just taking it to the chin and moving on. Sucks about the flash cal though.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That's an unfortunate experience with the Superchips. I don't see how plugging it in would corrupt your computer though. I've also got a 2010 and have been running the older style 3875 Superchips for 230k miles without a single hiccup.

I will say this about your court though- I don't know that I'd waste the time. Usually in the fine print you'll agree to their liability being limited to the product only, to they'll likely only be liable to replace the tuner. I don't know the price of lawyers your direction, but I know they're more than $150 around here.

Again, sorry to hear about how your experience went.
The following users liked this post:
Kris Heikkila (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

I figure small claims. 60$. And if I get a judgement, it’s going public. I asked nicely, I played nice. The techs were dicks and said the engineers would reach out. They didn’t. Getting a hold of anyone there is like pulling teeth.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Yeah, I had a question on a tuner years ago and it was tough to get in touch with them. They may have too many sticks in the fire and that's why customer service isn't great. Not an excuse, but an observation from my experience.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Heikkila
Just an FYI.
bought a superchip 3571 flash cal.
plugged it in to my STOCK Jeep. Looked at a few options. Unplugged it, I’ll use it when the lift and tires go on in a few weeks.
1 week later , had to use the Jeep , it snowed,.... Jeep, out of the drive way, says I’m doing 100.
weird, plugged flash cal in, hit return to stock, just in case I accidentally hit something. Says it can’t talk to BCM.
OK, must have a mouse issue or wiring, it’s a 2010 after all.
towed into dealer. 2 weeks later, dealer says we found the issue. The flash cal is faulty. Corrupts the bcm.
with KEY ON, ENGINE OFF, truck says it’s doing 3-4 mph... and we tested all sensors, no input.
we reset the bcm, test drove, all ok. Plugged in flash cal, same issue...
reset, recommend not using device.
called Superchips. THEY REFUSE TO PAY FOR THE DIAGNOSTIC. Or the tow.
says they could have fixed it over the phone.
..... why would I call them first? That assumes I thought the flash cal was bad already.
so. Dealer proved 100% faulty pac.... Superchips says nope, not our problem.
now I gotta go to court.
LOL Yes you should have called Superchips first. And yes they could have fixed it. "Why would I call them first" Because you plugged in an after market tuner and then you had problems. For example you buy a wireless modem at Walmart for your house, and then you call your internet provider because you can't figure out how to set it up. Will they help you NO. Not for free. I've had the FlashPaq for 10 years had a problem once and called them and an hour later it was fixed. Good luck with your lawsuit. LOL
Old 02-18-2021, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

This ^^^^^

Oscarmike is absolutely correct.

Your issues began after you plugged in the tuner - seems pretty obvious.

Most of the time (if not always) the first thing ya gotta do when you receive your tuner is to connect it to your computer to update it, otherwise weird stuff can happen - did you go through the routine ?

Don’t misunderstand me, I feel for ya - and the situation sucks, but those guys at customer service are magic when it comes to bringing your PCM back from the dead.

Sorry for you troubles mate ....

Neville
Old 02-18-2021, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2011oscarmike
LOL Yes you should have called Superchips first. And yes they could have fixed it. "Why would I call them first" Because you plugged in an after market tuner and then you had problems. For example you buy a wireless modem at Walmart for your house, and then you call your internet provider because you can't figure out how to set it up. Will they help you NO. Not for free. I've had the FlashPaq for 10 years had a problem once and called them and an hour later it was fixed. Good luck with your lawsuit. LOL
you assume a time line. I did not plug in, then drive away. That would have been a clear correlation.
I didn’t use the truck for another 2 weeks. It sat. And with all the mice issues, when I did actually DRIVE the truck, only THEN did I see the issue with the over speed. Googled issue, posts said it can happen , disconnect battery drain capacitors. Re connect.
Few days later, tried remote start, didn’t work.. now have 2 issues...
i suck it up that I have a chewed wire or something similar due to sitting and not being used.
fully prepared to pay for a wiring fix, sent to dealer. Why would I point fingers at the flashcal for having a Speedo showing 3 mph while not moving? That’s not a Speedo issue. Superchips even said their unit re calibrates the Speedo, not bcm. Dealer found that just connecting the unit causes the bcm to fail. That’s a proper diagnostic. Without ASSUMPTIONS. No finger pointing. Proper logical diagnosis. They found the issue was the flashcal. Reset Jeep, tested, plugged in unit, bcm failed again. Empirical proof. All facts, not assumptions or guesses.
after getting the diagnosis, I then called Superchips with the info.
As a former HVAC guy, getting yelled at for something that “ we broke” during an install, when we were never even near the object in question, I make sure I have all my FACTS in a row before pointing fingers.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Kris - if I may bring some sort of mediation here. I don't believe anybody is calling you out but you are shouting out on a forum you have just joined or posted to with 4 posts. Firstly welcome to the forum and people here do want to help.
Unfortunately we all take it on the chin after we start the modification route and need to claim some sort of after the fact service due to mods we may make. In your case it seemed it was the device right out of the box which was supplied by Superchips as your Jeep was running fine prior to plugging it in. What would have been the better way was already posted, and that was to contact the vendor first to see if they could help. All 3rd party suppliers will deny a claim back through a dealer unless they authorized it first. Right now your best bet is to contact Superchips, see what they can do about the issue and you most likely have to eat the Jeep dealer diagnostic charge.
Please let us know how you do as vendors will usually help out when they see you are on a forum that can spread good or bad news about them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sixty4x4:
hivoltagedriver (02-24-2021), Reddout99 (02-20-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Kris - if I may bring some sort of mediation here. I don't believe anybody is calling you out but you are shouting out on a forum you have just joined or posted to with 4 posts. Firstly welcome to the forum and people here do want to help.
Unfortunately we all take it on the chin after we start the modification route and need to claim some sort of after the fact service due to mods we may make. In your case it seemed it was the device right out of the box which was supplied by Superchips as your Jeep was running fine prior to plugging it in. What would have been the better way was already posted, and that was to contact the vendor first to see if they could help. All 3rd party suppliers will deny a claim back through a dealer unless they authorized it first. Right now your best bet is to contact Superchips, see what they can do about the issue and you most likely have to eat the Jeep dealer diagnostic charge.
Please let us know how you do as vendors will usually help out when they see you are on a forum that can spread good or bad news about them.
my issue , primarily with Superchips, is that they and some here, keep saying I should have known it was the chip, or called them first. Had I plugged it in, made changes, then taken it for a ride and discovered issues, then sure. But it wasn’t that cut and dry. It was a week or more before I drove the jeep. And as I didn’t modify anything, why would I assume the flashcal was the culprit?
I didn’t blame Superchips out of the box, because there was no clear causation. Given that the jeep had issues, the possible causes were... sitting and corrosion, chewed wires( my Honda sitting next to it had wires chewed) sensor issues from lack of use, and assuming that a non invasive plug in would cause non recoverable failure. So the general consensus is that because I didn’t jump to conclusions that a well known product, made by a well known well trusted company was defective, and I didn’t blame them, I’m at fault.
in this snap decision world where everyone seems to blame everyone else, I chose to believe that my old Jeep was to blame, and was ready to pay good money to fix it.
compound this by multiple calls to tech support, getting a “ case number” and being told the engineering staff would contact me , and after no contact, finding out that that was a lie. They had no note to have anyone call me. Why lie to me?
Failures happen, right out of the box, I get it, but I don’t play the blame game till I have proof. It’s just not right.

Quick Reply: Superchip killed my jeep