Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchip fix for temp gauge?

Old 04-24-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Get an Aeroforce gauge. Displays just about any parameter you could want - except oil pressure. No pressure sensor on the JK.
Originally Posted by JPop
Concur! Great product and not that expensive given what the whole host of gauges would cost.
Another vote for the aeroforce scan gauges. I installed the twin gauge setup in my '04 Cobra and had a couple different parameters displayed and temp was one of them. Most new car gauges today do not run to the hot side of the gauge until the engine is overheating. My Cobra was like that so it's not just Crysler. The aeroforce gauges are affordable too. Plus anyone with a Ripp supercharger kit could buy the sensors and have boost/vacuum and wideband air/fuel displayed on it as well.

Last edited by highoctane; 04-24-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested......
Old 04-24-2009, 07:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
A functional water temp gauge would be nice providing the observer would not panic to see it routinely swing up and down between 185* & 215*.
Originally Posted by JK Dawg
Exactly the reason it would be nice to know what's really going on.
Not sure how that relates to what I meant. But yeah, it's nice to know what's going on. I have one of the AeroForce gauges.
My point was, a lot of people panic when they see what's really going on. The swing in temp I noted above is normal when not moving/moving slowly.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
A functional water temp gauge would be nice providing the observer would not panic to see it routinely swing up and down between 185* & 215*.
The Aeroforce does that in a simple and elegant way. Like other have mentioned it was kindof weird seeing the gauge point straight up dead center regardless of whether the temp is 188 or 215 as you say.

I initially thought that maybe the Jeep had a great cooling system with enough excess capacity such that it could easily maintain that temp. Silly me; I should have known.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:37 AM
JK Junkie

One thing that I did with the Superchips Flashpaq is set the fan speed settings at various temperatures. I set the low fan speed to come on at 180 degrees I believe, the medium fan speed at 200 and high at 215. This gave me some audible cues as to what my temperature was when in traffic and for most of my drives I was never hearing the fan come on at all with the high temps set from the factory before it came on. I didn't think it was broke, but I was always surprised by how little it came on.

Of course there isn't any benefit to having the fan come on at a temperature lower than the thermostat and I've been thinking of dropping a 180 in for the summer. My only concern, and a minor one, is if the trusty 3.8 really likes those few extra degrees of operating temperature?

Also, out of habit and because I always have it around I use Water Wetter in my coolant. Reduces coolant and engine temperatures by 10-15 degrees and works great for vehicles often at the upper end of their operating range on a regular basis. Probably never needed it in the Jeep thus far but on my Chevelle I would often get in situations where I just had to shut it down for an hour when I happened upon some traffic.

Back on topic, with the Superchips I think there is a variety of things they can do with their product and add to the feature set. At some point and as a collective I think it's important that we present an organized list of feature requests and also the priority in which we place on them. Fixing the water temp gauge isn't that important to me as I already have a solution(s), although I'd be happy to have it. More importantly and as people get a handle on things are going to be part throttle shift points, throttle body settings and spark advance. Despite having the 6 speed, I believe that the most important thing for them to have good feedback on is the shift points especially at part throttle and that will provide the most benefit for the broadest set of end users.

Quick Reply: Superchip fix for temp gauge?