Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

superchip 2nd owner.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default superchip 2nd owner.

I bought a Superchip programmer off a buddy. He thought that the program was removed from his JK as he is now running a Dioblo tuner on a RIPP super charger setup. But I have found out that his VIN is still attached to the Superchip. Anyway to make this thing usable without having to pay for a software update???
Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

I am also a 2nd owner - Sounds like he may have not restored the factory settings prior to sending it out...may have to send back to him so that he can revert it to factory.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

He was told they did that before they uploaded the Dioblo tuner. So yours came clean and ready to use?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, I understand but maybe the previous owner did it incorrectly or didn't complete factory reset until unplugging or who knows what.

I bought mine off of a local guy and he wasn't sure if the factory tune had completely reverted so we checked it in my jeep together and it worked fine - had to read my system and load it into the tuner before we could make changes to my program.

It is a function to keep people from tuning other jeeps with their superchip - the programmer will revert your jeep to complete factory setting and then you have to wipe the programmer database clean so that it is as if you just purchased it from the factory before you can link it to a new jeep.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gregsummer
I bought a Superchip programmer off a buddy. He thought that the program was removed from his JK as he is now running a Dioblo tuner on a RIPP super charger setup. But I have found out that his VIN is still attached to the Superchip. Anyway to make this thing usable without having to pay for a software update???
If he has already changed his programming on his JK, then I believe your only recourse is to get your money back from him or pay the $50 unlock charge from Superchips.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably your friend had done some programing via the "Advanced Tunning" (gears or tire size) but reverted back to stock using the "Quick Tune". This left the other info on the unit. If the DIablo program was uploaded, then Superchips will not be able to recognize the current software, and there will be no way of unlocking your Superchips unit. You will need to spend the $100 to unlock it!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ke5rto
If he has already changed his programming on his JK, then I believe your only recourse is to get your money back from him or pay the $50 unlock charge from Superchips.
$50.00?!? It use to be $100.00 to unlock it from a previous vin. Glad they have come down.

As others have said, if the tuner was not reset properly before you bought it, then you'll have to pay the unlock fee. Outside of the cost, unlocking the tuner from the previous vin is not a big deal. Connect it your PC, setup an account, and pay the fee. It only takes a minute to reset and you'll be up and running...
Old 05-16-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys. It is $100. I called Superchip and they told me that's what they charge.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did he reset any of the advanced tunes TMPS, etc.... If he did not then his tuner is not back to stock and will still have his VIN. I bought mine used and it was locked due to the advanced tune not being set back to stock. I got the original owner to fax his original reciept for the tuner to Superchips and in turn it cost $29.00 to unlock the tuner for me. Then I was good to go!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

I had called superchip when I disconnected mine last week. He advised if I put in to factory settings then it will be unlocked to use on the next vehicle. I had sold my 08 and bought a 2011 and I can't even use this on my 2011. I guess I will put it up for sale

Quick Reply: superchip 2nd owner.