Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchargers in canada

Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Superchargers in canada

Since we are on the kill for superchargers on this board. It peeked my interest. I notice a few comments that the superchargers are not a real fan of cold weather. Well where I live it's from 35C to -35C thats 86F to -22F in American language. lol.

So anybody have supercharger in Canada?
If so what are they like in our weather?
I'm leaning toward the RIPP system, where can i buy one..
Old 02-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

I am not a fan of cold weather; therefore, neither is my Jeep or any of the parts on it. Seriously, though, as long as it is properly maintained, it should have no more problem with the cold weather than the engine. It will warm up to operation temperature anyway. Also, the cold air that it sucks in could actually give you better performance - going off the same theory that drag races normally take place in the evenings.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

A friend of mine had an Toyota MR2 Supercharged it it did not have any problems..
Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

see any nissan xterras near you, they came supercharged, shouldn't be a problem.
i think turbos are more prone to problems, thats why tuners program their computers to turn the engine off when the turbo is cooled, instead of when the key is off.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Junkie

The problem with superchargers in the extreme cold -20C and colder is that the lobes in the unit actually get a little frosty as well usually there are teflon seals in the supercharger and they can become a little brittle and break off if an engine or block heater isnt installed and proper warm up techniques arnt used. I had a supercharger on my rotary engine and if it was real cold and the SC was real cold there was no way of starting that car without warming that SC up. This was on a carberated unit and there maybe less problems with a fuel injected vehicle, this is just my experience with the cold and a SC
Old 02-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FRENCHY75
Since we are on the kill for superchargers on this board. It peeked my interest. I notice a few comments that the superchargers are not a real fan of cold weather. Well where I live it's from 35C to -35C thats 86F to -22F in American language. lol.

So anybody have supercharger in Canada?
If so what are they like in our weather?
I'm leaning toward the RIPP system, where can i buy one..
Colder air will naturally create more boost with a supercharger since the air is denser, more boost = more power . The only thing with Extreme Cold conditions you have to use a Oil fed unit. Our normal kits come with a Vortech V-3 Si trim(self contained). You would need a V-2 supercharger, this unit utilizes an engine oil feed and return for the blowers gear case. A kit of that type would have to be custom ordered, no problem at all. lemme know when your ready
Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bareass
see any nissan xterras near you, they came supercharged, shouldn't be a problem.
i think turbos are more prone to problems, thats why tuners program their computers to turn the engine off when the turbo is cooled, instead of when the key is off.

A guy i work with has one and he has no prob running it here in Cold Lake Alberta at -45 not including the windchill
Old 02-04-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Colder air will naturally create more boost with a supercharger since the air is denser, more boost = more power . The only thing with Extreme Cold conditions you have to use a Oil fed unit. Our normal kits come with a Vortech V-3 Si trim(self contained). You would need a V-2 supercharger, this unit utilizes an engine oil feed and return for the blowers gear case. A kit of that type would have to be custom ordered, no problem at all. lemme know when your ready
Would it be better to spec out the V2 for use even in warmer weather? On the theory that a positive oil source(filtered and perhaps cooler) would be beneficial for longevity? What is the additional cost?

Quick Reply: Superchargers in canada