Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Supercharger worth the purchase??

Old 11-01-2014 | 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Does anyone know if the sprintex can be used with an aftermarket air intake or does it need the stock air intake?
Old 11-02-2014 | 10:05 AM
JK Freak

People here that are saying skip the SC and just get the V8's obviously have disposable income. Comparing the SC to an LS3 isnt comparing apples to apples so why even bother with it. 6k to 20k is a massive difference. Of course the entire powertrain swap is the best way to go but shit so is trading in my wifes 370Z for a Lambo to get more power but of course thats not within the realm of possibility.

For the money you cant go wrong with the SC. Hell one can buy another Jeep for the price of an engine swap which is just insane to me.
Old 11-02-2014 | 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Most of my customers have $10-12k in their supercharger set-ups. Between the cost of the SC, installation, headers, tuner, custom tuning, cat back exhaust, etc...

Of course you can do it yourself and not upgrade the exhaust, etc., just like a V8 to save $.

Our 5.3 swaps start in the high $13's. The 5.3 has over 300 HP, can use the stock exhaust, transfer case, radiator, driveshafts, etc. The 5.3 has about 300 ft lbs of torque which Is hard to get from a V6.

So while a 450 HP LS3 to a SC is not apples to apples the 5.3 closes the gap; especially if you factor in longevity, fuel requirements, probably a transmission rebuild or two and even a long block with the 3.8, not to mention drivability.

Last edited by VEGASROBBI; 11-02-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-02-2014 | 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hagausaf
People here that are saying skip the SC and just get the V8's obviously have disposable income. Comparing the SC to an LS3 isnt comparing apples to apples so why even bother with it. 6k to 20k is a massive difference. Of course the entire powertrain swap is the best way to go but shit so is trading in my wifes 370Z for a Lambo to get more power but of course thats not within the realm of possibility.

For the money you cant go wrong with the SC. Hell one can buy another Jeep for the price of an engine swap which is just insane to me.
I can see where your comming from, but for people like me who plan on keeping there jeep it makes it a lot easier to stick the money into a v8 swap over the sc. I could have bought another jeep like you said with the money it cost me but id just have one more under powered jeep. All I can say is I've never for one minute regretted the ls3 purchase I absolutely love it.
Old 11-02-2014 | 01:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
Most of my customers have $10-12k in their supercharger set-ups. Between the cost of the SC, installation, headers, tuner, custom tuning, cat back exhaust, etc...

Of course you can do it yourself and not upgrade the exhaust, etc., just like a V8 to save $.

Our 5.3 swaps start in the high $13's. The 5.3 has over 300 HP, can use the stock exhaust, transfer case, radiator, driveshafts, etc. The 5.3 has about 300 ft lbs of torque which Is hard to get from a V6.

So while a 450 HP LS3 to a SC is not apples to apples the 5.3 closes the gap; especially if you factor in longevity, fuel requirements, probably a transmission rebuild or two and even a long block with the 3.8, not to mention drivability.

$10-$12k for a supercharger install ? It's $6k for the Ripp kit with intercooler including the tuner and most backyard or shade tree mechanics can do it themselves.

I don't deny the LS swap is possibly better, but you're blowing the cost of the SC out of proportion.
Old 11-02-2014 | 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
$10-$12k for a supercharger install ? It's $6k for the Ripp kit with intercooler including the tuner and most backyard or shade tree mechanics can do it themselves. I don't deny the LS swap is possibly better, but you're blowing the cost of the SC out of proportion.
6k and 330hp to the wheel on my 6sp sounds good to me lol
Old 11-02-2014 | 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
$10-$12k for a supercharger install ? It's $6k for the Ripp kit with intercooler including the tuner and most backyard or shade tree mechanics can do it themselves.

I don't deny the LS swap is possibly better, but you're blowing the cost of the SC out of proportion.
I don't think that's too far off I had
6000$ in the super charger
Long tube headers are 1800$
Mprb exhaust 350$
Tuner. 450$
Install cost I can't remember exact . so I had about 10,000$ in it
Old 11-02-2014 | 07:00 PM
JK Freak

AEV/Magnuson SC here - '10, manual trans, 4.88 gears, 37's; So far I've considered it to have been well worth the money for me.

Prior to the SC, I had no real issues crawling, but rather it was the longer/steeper hill climbs or obstacles that I struggled with. Post SC, some of the same hills I used to bog down on I can walk right up no problem. In some cases even with an inadvertent pause mid way or in at least one case forgetting I was still in 2wd yet still made it. Its also perhaps worth noting that on a snow run last winter, there was a hill we encountered that no one else in our group was able to make - which included a couple of otherwise similarly equipped 3.6 rubicons. It still took me three tries to get it, but I made it none-the-less (and had equally as much fun making it through the unbroken snow for the slightly uphill turnaround to come back down).

Also makes me feel a little better about merging on to a busy highway as well - used to feel like I needed to run out the gears to get to speed; whereas now its a little more casual of an event.

My investment was $5695 for the AEV kit, which came with everything needed, including the diablo tuner. Also maybe add in there $500 for the Act HD clutch I did at the same time; did install myself with the help of a friend over the course of a weekend.

If I had the money and time, sure I would have gone hemi or LS; if I'm ever in a position where I think I can justify and swing the 15-20k, I'll likely pull the SC out and put it up for sale and still do just that... but until that time, the SC does what I want it to do, and its doing it quite well.
Old 11-02-2014 | 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I barely skimmed through the 7 pages, because it mostly nonsense. Obviously, if you've "just bought" your Jeep, you're probably not looking to drop $20k doing a motor swap.

I have had the Ripp SC on for 7,000 miles (2 years) and I like it. I did experience a few annoyances, like random firm shifting from 1-2 and the lift-to-shift when going full-throttle and surging on the highway... But, nearly all of those problems went away after I did a gear swap (I have 35" tires). After going from stock 4.10's to 5.13's, I can now say I love it. I did just order the 10psi pulley, so we'll how it does going from 7psi to 10psi. Ripp says their programming is safe to 15psi. I've never had an issue with using cruise control.

The holidays are coming, so keep your eyes open. Ripp usually puts the SC's on sale for the holidays. I picked up mine for $4750 during the Cinco de Mayo sale 2 years ago. Did the install myself in 7 hours.

Just get an SC, don't waste time and money on cold air intakes, tuners or exhaust. My only gripe is the noise, but its a centrifugal supercharger, they're all noisy. I believe Ripp uses the Vortech V3.. you want to hear noisy, I run a Vortech V1 T-Trim on my '97 Cobra... that's noisy.

Is a supercharger worth it? Yes. But the next question would be, Which supercharger should you get? I'd really like to hear inputs from Spintex and AEV owners. I don't know Spintex, but Ripp uses Vortech and AEV uses Magnuson, both are good superchargers. But like everything, for every 1,000 sold, there's always a dud or two in the mix.

Last edited by aaron97; 11-02-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2014 | 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's almost the same price for a 5.7L hemi as the ripp superchsrger

Quick Reply: Supercharger worth the purchase??