Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Supercharger worth the purchase??

Old 10-30-2014 | 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Vet Army

Originally Posted by PhxSilver
I guy here is Phoenix is doing an LS and claims he has about 17K in parts with NO LABOR in the number
hrm... that sounds high. I will pick mine up from MoTech next week and I'm not much higher than that. Includes the engine/trans/TC/labor and the piece of mind that I will drive away with a jeep that is running properly.
Old 10-30-2014 | 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
hrm... that sounds high. I will pick mine up from MoTech next week and I'm not much higher than that. Includes the engine/trans/TC/labor and the piece of mind that I will drive away with a jeep that is running properly.

Here are the numbers he gave

New Crate LS3 Engine ~ $6800
Transmission new (sort of) ~ 2000
Kit from Motech with tapshift, radiator, aeroforce guage, and t-case adapter- $~7200
Misc parts per parts list ~800
Misc bolts and other crap ~400
Exhaust install ~700
Total - Dont tell the Wife ~ $17,900
Old 10-30-2014 | 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Kit from Motech with tapshift, radiator, aeroforce guage, and t-case adapter- $~7200
Exhaust install ~700

LS3 into my JKU
Old 10-30-2014 | 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Vet Army

Exhaust install ~700
So my differences:

used 6.0L VVT truck engine (based on Robbie's recommendation for my uses which is daily driver, towing, offroading)
6L80E - used low mileage
upgraded radiator
tapshift
tcase and adapter (I have a rubicon so had to move to the regular tc over the 4:1 rubicon tc)
exhaust
I chose not to get the aeroforce guage as you can access that information with an adroid phone and the Torque OBD II app

To comment on what MoTech stated earlier in this thread. I'm one of the fellas he's talking about. My 3.8L had a RIPP V2 SC with the intercooler installed. It was MUCH better than a stock 3.8, BUT, I had to run at least mid-grade fuel (and if the temps were above 90 degF then premium). It was twitchy feeling from low rpm to when the SC fully kicked in and when in cruise control. I visited with Robbie in August and took a ride in a jeep with the 6.0L and it was a completely different jeep. I'll re-enforce what he said; if you're looking to keep your jeep for the long haul, skip the SC and save for a V8. I should have and now I'm very excited to pick mine up from MoTech next week!

Edit - as a side note. I'm not unfamiliar with doing major engine swaps. I installed a 6.1L hemi (stroked to 426) with a 4L60E (yep chevy transmission) in my 72 Cuda and managed to get the engine control and transmission control systems to work/play well together. That experience told me that paying Robbie was worth not dealing with the Jeep CanBus system and the chevy engine control system in order to get all to work properly together. I firmly believe paying the extra for his expertise is worth it in this case.

Last edited by jedg; 10-30-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-30-2014 | 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

So my differences:

used 6.0L VVT truck engine (based on Robbie's recommendation for my uses which is daily driver, towing, offroading)
6L80E - used low mileage
upgraded radiator
tapshift
tcase and adapter (I have a rubicon so had to move to the regular tc over the 4:1 rubicon tc)
exhaust
I chose not to get the aeroforce guage as you can access that information with an adroid phone and the Torque OBD II app

To comment on what MoTech stated earlier in this thread. I'm one of the fellas he's talking about. My 3.8L had a RIPP V2 SC with the intercooler installed. It was MUCH better than a stock 3.8, BUT, I had to run at least mid-grade fuel (and if the temps were above 90 degF then premium). It was twitchy feeling from low rpm to when the SC fully kicked in and when in cruise control. I visited with Robbie in August and took a ride in a jeep with the 6.0L and it was a completely different jeep. I'll re-enforce what he said; if you're looking to keep your jeep for the long haul, skip the SC and save for a V8. I should have and now I'm very excited to pick mine up from MoTech next week!

Edit - as a side note. I'm not unfamiliar with doing major engine swaps. I installed a 6.1L hemi (stroked to 426) with a 4L60E (yep chevy transmission) in my 72 Cuda and managed to get the engine control and transmission control systems to work/play well together. That experience told me that paying Robbie was worth not dealing with the Jeep CanBus system and the chevy engine control system in order to get all to work properly together. I firmly believe paying the extra for his expertise is worth it in this case.

What do you think your final budget will be?
Old 10-30-2014 | 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
Vet Army

What do you think your final budget will be?
My final budget is between $20,000 and $21,000. Of course this varies by customer and what they ask to have installed.

I'll also tell you that Robbie and his crew are OBSESSED with doing things to perfection. Example, he didn't like the welds on my sliders (welded to the frame)... his crew ground them off and laid new welds.
Old 10-31-2014 | 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

My final budget is between $20,000 and $21,000. Of course this varies by customer and what they ask to have installed.

I'll also tell you that Robbie and his crew are OBSESSED with doing things to perfection. Example, he didn't like the welds on my sliders (welded to the frame)... his crew ground them off and laid new welds.
I agree with this completly. Robbie installed my 6.2 and other things like axles he's not satisfied until everything is correct and I like that alot.. he even fixes steering and handling issues that were not causes by him before he sends your jeep back to you.
Old 10-31-2014 | 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Vet Army

Originally Posted by greenenvey
I agree with this completly. Robbie installed my 6.2 and other things like axles he's not satisfied until everything is correct and I like that alot.. he even fixes steering and handling issues that were not causes by him before he sends your jeep back to you.
^^^^ THIS!... I forgot about that. I showed up with a trackbar issue (occurred on my trip to drop it with him)... his guys immediately told me that it would be fixed before I go it back.
Old 10-31-2014 | 12:52 PM
JK Freak

wow I'd love a v8 but those number make me want to sc my 3.6 and call it a day
Old 10-31-2014 | 02:06 PM
JK Junkie
JK-Forum Ambassador

Originally Posted by greenenvey
Did he do that for free or charge you for it? If he charged you did he call prior to doing it to OK it? If he did it for free are you positive it was for free and not hidden into labor cost or something else?

Quick Reply: Supercharger worth the purchase??