Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Supercharger worth the purchase??

Old 10-29-2014 | 11:04 AM
JK Freak

I bought my Ripp Gen 2 SC with intercooler used about this time last year from someone going to an LS. Put about 10K miles on it, no problems at all. No issues with my auto trans shifting, no surging on the highway, cruise does work but can surge some( don't really use it so its not a big deal to me).

I think the retail price is a somewhat reasonable deal for the power increases it provides. For the used price I paid, I think it was a killer value.

If you need a little more power and can't do the LS/Hemi swap, this is a good way to go. If you want V8 power and think this will do it, keep saving your money for the motor swap.
Old 10-29-2014 | 11:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SLCJeep
I had the same question, should I install a supercharger and if so, which one. I did some research and came away with the Ripp Supercharger being the way to go. This was because of the inner cooler and because of problems I'd read about with other superchargers. Unfortunately, I did not find out what I needed to before I bought the Ripp. Fortunately, I bought it through 4WheelParts and had them do the install. They were awesome. Ripp was not. The supercharger was not. I'll net it out to just a few things. First, shifting with the supercharger was unpredictable. The idea of having to let off the gas to shift isn't very palatable when you're trying to pass another vehicle. It was very common for the supercharger to cause a transmission stutter of wanting to shift but not quite shifting. I felt it was unsafe. Second, cruise control does not work with the Ripp Supercharger. Apparently, both of these problems are known issues, but Ripp doesn't tell you that until after you've installed it and you're calling tech support. Last, after 1700 miles, the supercharger started whining extremely loudly. 4WheelParts said it needed to be replaced. Ripp wanted to rebuild it or replace it with a used rebuilt one. After 1700 miles? 4WheelParts thought they were crazy too. Needless to say, I removed the supercharger and went back to stock. 4WheelParts gave me a complete refund. I have a feeling they won't be doing a lot of business with Ripp in the near future. I sure won't.
Weird problems.

Cruise works and I have never heard of the transmission stutter. Known issues?

I don't know how 4 wheel parts could screw up the install, it is pretty damn straight forward, but if anyone could, they could.

As for Ripp's offer to rebuild it...I know it sucks to buy a brand new part and have it not work correctly but what is wrong with the manufacturer rebuilding the unit? They would send it to Vortec, it would be like brand new. I wouldn't accept a used one if I had bought a new one but a rebuild seems reasonable...they aren't' going to be using parts off the floor you know.
Old 10-29-2014 | 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard that the 3.6 ripp is quicker than a 6.4 hemi. Is that true? I'm sure that does add a lot of weight. Guess I'm not really trying to build a racecar nor do I have hemi $$ lol
But it'd be pretty cool to take some people off the line in a built JKU
Old 10-29-2014 | 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's not all about power with the V8. To make sense a V8 is a long term investment. The iron 6.0 puts out an honest 360 HP with nearly 400 ft lbs of torque; and it will do it year after year with utter reliability on low grade gas. There is no special servicing or care required, in fact the 6.0 can be neglected and it keeps on going in my experience.

There is no surging, flat spots, funny shifting or any other drivability issues to deal with. I've done over 1,000 miles a day, many times, in LS JK's with a 6l80, it's a breeze; 700 miles in a V6 is a challenge for me.

So if you consider the cost of running regular gas for 2-300,000 miles on a single engine with low maintenance costs, the return on investment looks pretty good compared to a couple V6 long blocks and transmission rebuilds.

I've driven dozens of SC JK's with the 3.8 and can say none can come even close to the smooth, linear power delivery of the lowly HD 6.0 truck engines. I love to watch the customers reaction when they pick up their LS JK, especially when their JK was superchaged.

The 3.6 with a blower has good HP, more than a 5.3 or 6.0; it would be pushing it to say it will beat an SRT Hemi or LS3. I wouldn't for a minute trade that burst of power for the sound, torque and drivability of a V8. There's something comforting about a good ol V8, especially off road.

We have 3, 4, 5, 6, and even 700 HP LS JK's at the shop and to tell you the truth I'll take a LY6 or LS3 in my JK. They run and sound so good, are efficient, and make the JK feel right. When I get in a non LS JK it doesn't feel right to me.

I understand the V8 is a sizable investment and not everyone can afford one; so, the SC is a viable option and will put out HP if not the longevity or drivability of a V8.

Look at the long term goal for your JK. We are currently removing 3 SC 3.8's to swap in LS's. Don't waste money and get both. Drive both, and not on a short test drive, the differences really become apparent after a short highway trip.

The roots vs centrifugal SC is apples to apples, a SC V6 vs V8 is really apples to oranges IMO.

Last edited by VEGASROBBI; 10-29-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2014 | 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
It's not all about power with the V8. To make sense a V8 is a long term investment. The iron 6.0 puts out an honest 360 HP with nearly 400 ft lbs of torque; and it will do it year after year with utter reliability on low grade gas. There is no special servicing or care required, in fact the 6.0 can be neglected and it keeps on going in my experience. There is no surging, flat spots, funny shifting or any other drivability issues to deal with. I've done over 1,000 miles a day, many times, in LS JK's with a 6l80, it's a breeze; 700 miles in a V6 is a challenge for me. So if you consider the cost of running regular gas for 2-300,000 miles on a single engine with low maintenance costs, the return on investment looks pretty good compared to a couple V6 long blocks and transmission rebuilds. I've driven dozens of SC JK's with the 3.8 and can say none can come even close to the smooth, linear power delivery of the lowly HD 6.0 truck engines. I love to watch the customers reaction when they pick up their LS JK, especially when their JK was superchaged. The 3.6 with a blower has good HP, more than a 5.3 or 6.0; it would be pushing it to say it will beat an SRT Hemi or LS3. I wouldn't for a minute trade that burst of power for the sound, torque and drivability of a V8. There's something comforting about a good ol V8, especially off road. We have 3, 4, 5, 6, and even 700 HP LS JK's at the shop and to tell you the truth I'll take a LY6 or LS3 in my JK. They run and sound so good, are efficient, and make the JK feel right. When I get in a non LS JK it doesn't feel right to me. I understand the V8 is a sizable investment and not everyone can afford one; so, the SC is a viable option and will put out HP if not the longevity or drivability of a V8. Look at the long term goal for your JK. We are currently removing 3 SC 3.8's to swap in LS's. Don't waste money and get both. Drive both, and not on a short test drive, the differences really become apparent after a short highway trip. The roots vs centrifugal SC is apples to apples, a SC V6 vs V8 is really apples to oranges IMO.
thanks for all the info! I wish an ls3 was in my budget. A supercharger us barely in it lol
Old 10-30-2014 | 07:24 AM
JK Freak

what is the true cost of a ls swap?
Old 10-30-2014 | 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
ahh you're right, what's another lone lol
Old 10-30-2014 | 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Loan*
Old 10-30-2014 | 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CarFanatic

I guy here is Phoenix is doing an LS and claims he has about 17K in parts with NO LABOR in the number
Old 10-30-2014 | 08:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PhxSilver
I guy here is Phoenix is doing an LS and claims he has about 17K in parts with NO LABOR in the number
he's doing it wrong

Quick Reply: Supercharger worth the purchase??