Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Supercharger worth the purchase??

Old 12-09-2014 | 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

I like the power I got from my magnuson supercharger. Just put it in over thanksgiving break.
Old 12-10-2014 | 07:25 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Default Superchargers with your Wrangler

When we first entered the Wrangler market in 2008, it was to offer the avid Jeeper and option to the extremely pricey motor swap option. Not everyone has $15K-$30K and 2 weeks to 2 months+ to do it.
We created our system, to give that 3.8L the power it should have had from the dealer, and to make it livable for day to day use. Our systems are also designed with ease of installation and maintenance in mind.
Our success in this segment is no accident, with over 4500 System sold world wide for the Wrangler at this point, it is fair to say, YES, the supercharger IS a viable option.
As goes with anything on the internet, there is a lot of good information on forums, but, there is just as much if not more bad information. Do your research, ask questions, and if possible, test one.

Best of luck with whatever you choose and see you on the trails!

RIPP
Old 12-10-2014 | 07:43 AM
JK Freak

From: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

Originally Posted by tmhd2
Supercharger + turbo. 3.8 can handle that, right?
I did say twin supercharger, first off.

Secondly, if an engine is built properly, it would be possible to run consistent amounts of boost pressure across the entirety of the rev range. Meaning forged Pistons, rods, possibly a cam, heads, and the correct bolts to hold the heads on the engine.

One of the things people don't realize is that it will do your engine a great disservice if you do not use the proper parts when you add forced induction to an engine. Rather, it does subtract from the life of the engine and cause issues later down the road.

With that being said, I'm not sure how much pressure any of these systems run, nor do I know what compression ratio the 3.8 can handle with stock parts. What I do know is that upgrades to the engine aside from the forced induction system are desired for the longevity of the engine and for improved performance. I'm sure these systems are compensating for this by not producing copious amounts of boost, though.
Old 12-10-2014 | 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gforce!
I did say twin supercharger, first off.

Secondly, if an engine is built properly, it would be possible to run consistent amounts of boost pressure across the entirety of the rev range. Meaning forged Pistons, rods, possibly a cam, heads, and the correct bolts to hold the heads on the engine.

One of the things people don't realize is that it will do your engine a great disservice if you do not use the proper parts when you add forced induction to an engine. Rather, it does subtract from the life of the engine and cause issues later down the road.

With that being said, I'm not sure how much pressure any of these systems run, nor do I know what compression ratio the 3.8 can handle with stock parts. What I do know is that upgrades to the engine aside from the forced induction system are desired for the longevity of the engine and for improved performance. I'm sure these systems are compensating for this by not producing copious amounts of boost, though.
I saw what you posted. I was making a joke.

I believe RIPP has weighed in many times throughout the history of supercharging the 3.8 on this motor's stock capabilities. They can't really handle a whole lot, but they really do wake up nicely with the 5-8 (or so) pounds that most of these systems deliver. The stage 3 Prodigy turbo runs something like 14lbs, and they're quite proud of their 3.8 JK's ability to pull its front wheels off of the ground. Pretty sure that one has at least head studs..

Usually when people talk about running two power adders, or "twin charging" it's a roots or twin screw supercharger and a turbo. The supercharger gets it out of the hole while the turbo spools up. That's what I was referring to. I suppose you could combine a roots or twin screw supercharger with a centrifugal supercharger and have roughly the same concept.
Old 12-10-2014 | 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Francis1989
I like the power I got from my magnuson supercharger. Just put it in over thanksgiving break.
That Magnuson looks sick! Who does the tuning for those?
Old 12-10-2014 | 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

For awhile, twin turbos was a big fad for just that reason. But the reality is, you can push the limits of any setup if you want. Look at the blower setups on the dragsters. Some of those will push as much air through the engine as a 737 engine. Yup, that's a bunch!

The real question is what is your driving style and need. Then pick your sc from there.
Old 12-10-2014 | 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tmhd2
That Magnuson looks sick! Who does the tuning for those?
Comes with a Diablo tuner and Magnuson sends you the tune.
Old 01-06-2015 | 07:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Ok, installed the supercharger over the holidays and while I ran into a couple of issues, neither issue had to do with the supercharger. One issue was with a spark plug that got damaged and damaged my engine block threads as I removed the plug. The other issue was a vacumn leak due to a bolt I forgot to tighten down.

So after having put a helicoil insert, replacing my plugs and wiress I was then able to install the SC. Sprintex was great in helping find the leak. Thanks Sprintex if you are reading this!

Anyway, the SC is awsome. I am really happy with it. I can cruise down the road at 45 mph in 6th gear running 1400 rpms and then accelerate! That in itself is exciting. I was able to pass a car on a two lane road. I know you are thinking... Really! These are things I could not do before. If I wanted to pass a car on the hwy prior to the SC, there better not be a car within a mile and definately could not be an uphill situation. Now, its not an issue at all. Having power at 800 rpms is really sweet. Crusing at 1400 rpms then acclerating without down shifting just puts a smile on my face. So, for those driving a stick, I really recommend a twin screw set-up. Having that power without having to down shift makes driving your jeep so much more enjoyable.
Old 01-16-2015 | 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

So far I still think so. Just unboxed it looking forward to install the system.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4254557917.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	592239  
Old 01-27-2015 | 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Just an update, my mpg has gone up with the super charger. I am getting 14.7 mpg on the highway. I was getting about 12.5 mpg. The city driving mpg went up about 1 mpg

Quick Reply: Supercharger worth the purchase??