Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Supercharged penstar

Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see why you guys are complaining about the pentastar. Sure, its not the most ideal engine choice, but it is clearly an improvement over that POS 3.8. There will ALWAYS be guys who want more power regardless of whats under the hood. For these people, there will be supercharger options, and of course, a hemi swap. In the meantime, stop complaining and enjoy the added oomph that comes standard now.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawJK

Keep telling yourself that.

Sent from my iPhone
Dont need to convince myself, im fine with my 3.8. I have my 06 Vette for speed. Have fun tryin to move your brick in the drags. Lol
Old 11-29-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try and think about it from Chrysler's point of view.

They know good and well that there is a market out there for a Hemi JK - obviously...Mopar has put a hemi in some of their show jeeps.

A Jeep Wrangler is designed (in terms of handling, center of gravity, suspension, steering, etc) from the ground up to be a SLOW vehicle. If you just slap a HEMI in it and sell it to the masses, there would be gobs of folks racing around, getting killed, run over, and disfigured. I don't know if Chrysler is necessarily trying to protect us, but they sure as hell don't want to deal with the lawsuits and recalls. You're looking at a new version of the Ford vs Firestone battle.

A Grand Cherokee and Ram Pickups are quite capable offroad, and are offered with a Hemi, but the vehicle itself is very different in design as far as suspension, c.o.g., axles, etc.

If a Hemi Wrangler comes out on the market, it may show up with the new Wrangler design coming in 2015 (heresay), but I expect a complete vehicle makeover.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by EarlyJk
Dont need to convince myself, im fine with my 3.8. I have my 06 Vette for speed. Have fun tryin to move your brick in the drags. Lol
If you are happy with the 3.8, why do you have cai,catback,tuner etc. I know because I have the exact same thing on my '07 jku to make highway travel tolerable. I also own an 07zo6 that doesn't lack for speed. I have not put on a cai, tune etc on that because it didn't need it. I didn't buy the jk to drag race but it can barely get out of it's own way on the freeway. I have not driven a pentastar but am going to in the near future. I will either trade or put a ripp on it so that I can use it daily and not just on the weekends.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like my 3.6. I have had it a week and put 1200 miles on it. THe last tank hand calculated to 22.6 mpg with a mix of 70 mph interstate and stop and go branson traffic. I could not be happier with the power and mileage. i am coming form a ram megacab with the loved 5.9 cummins and 6 speed manual. Clearly the ram beat the Jeep in power and torq. But the Jeep is a blast to drive and reasonably powerful. i will second the need for some more low end grund, but it lights up around 3500 to 4K rpm's. i am not afraid to pass or merg on the interstate.
I probably would not consider a supercharger, but a tuner and maybe some cams or something to liven up the low end may be in the distant future. Right now I am very happy.
It does seem that the new transmission which was the tranny they ran with the 3.0 merc diesel in the grand might just allow the 3.0 merc to fit into a wrangler with out too much modification. 425 ft lbs yea baby. Now that might just be a mod a guy could consider.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bmore30

If you are happy with the 3.8, why do you have cai,catback,tuner etc. I know because I have the exact same thing on my '07 jku to make highway travel tolerable. I also own an 07zo6 that doesn't lack for speed. I have not put on a cai, tune etc on that because it didn't need it. I didn't buy the jk to drag race but it can barely get out of it's own way on the freeway. I have not driven a pentastar but am going to in the near future. I will either trade or put a ripp on it so that I can use it daily and not just on the weekends.
Fair question... Stock muffler was in the way an got crushed early on, so my replacement was a MBRP Off-Road pipe (BTW..the single best cat back you can have if you go off road) and AEM Brute Force was a add on to get a little grunt outta her.
Like I said as far as a 3.8 vs. 3.6 its like a slap in the face an a kick in the balls as far as an engine choice for me.... Im stickin with my bitchslap for now cause that 3.6 is a kick in the balls IMO.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by EarlyJk
Fair question... Stock muffler was in the way an got crushed early on, so my replacement was a MBRP Off-Road pipe (BTW..the single best cat back you can have if you go off road) and AEM Brute Force was a add on to get a little grunt outta her.
Like I said as far as a 3.8 vs. 3.6 its like a slap in the face an a kick in the balls as far as an engine choice for me.... Im stickin with my bitchslap for now cause that 3.6 is a kick in the balls IMO.
Why exactly is it a kick in the balls?! Ive had my 2012 JKUR 6 spd for about a month and a half and I love it. It has good power and returns good mileage. If you like your 3.8 terrible lack of power and awful mileage... good for you but cmon...the only real reason the 3.6 is a slap in the face for you is becuase it kicks your 3.8 in the balls.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would say any one who bought a 2011 might consider it a kick in the balls. Other than that
Old 11-29-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepr78

Why exactly is it a kick in the balls?! Ive had my 2012 JKUR 6 spd for about a month and a half and I love it. It has good power and returns good mileage. If you like your 3.8 terrible lack of power and awful mileage... good for you but cmon...the only real reason the 3.6 is a slap in the face for you is becuase it kicks your 3.8 in the balls.
Again its your opinion. Mine is BOTH engines are junk, so im sticking with the 3.8, its paid off an cheap to fix.

Last edited by EarlyJk; 11-29-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about trading in my JK for a 2012 but the Ripp Super Charger is for sure cheaper than a Hemi swap or a new Jeep payment. Thats what made my mind right then.

Ripp: $5000
Hemi done in garage: +/- $10,000
Hemi done in shop: $18,000-$21,000
2012 4 door sport JK: $17,000 w/ 08' JK trade in
Hmmmmm...

Quick Reply: Supercharged penstar