Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Supercharged penstar

Old 11-29-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged penstar

So how long will it take for a kit to come out.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All this time i have been thinking " man i need to get my 09 jeep upgraded to a 12 so that i have a more powerful jeep and can stop complaining about lack of horsepower" and then u come along and shatter that feeling that the 12 will solve my problems by saying u need a supercharger---so instead, Hemi upgrade here i come! Lol i wish i was joking.....
Old 11-29-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Texas Trailmaker
All this time i have been thinking " man i need to get my 09 jeep upgraded to a 12 so that i have a more powerful jeep and can stop complaining about lack of horsepower" and then u come along and shatter that feeling that the 12 will solve my problems by saying u need a supercharger---so instead, Hemi upgrade here i come! Lol i wish i was joking.....
Did you really think a smaller displacement 3.6 was the answer? It was Crapslers way of rushing an engine change without having to do much thinking.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by EarlyJk

Did you really think a smaller displacement 3.6 was the answer? It was Crapslers way of rushing an engine change without having to do much thinking.
Agree. They needed a quick escape from the 3.8. It's a crap motor and they know it....
Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

I have personally seen videos of '12 JKs running 0-60 in 6.8 seconds. Ten years ago that was sports car territory.

I don't think the 3.6 was "rushed" to market. It was carefully thought out, and they decided it would be a great multi-platform engine that would save them money. I wish it was tuned for more torque in Ram and Jeep applications, but it is a step in the right direction for sure. Most Hemi JKs are barely beating the '12 V6s in drag races...and I mean just barely.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by WXman
I have personally seen videos of '12 JKs running 0-60 in 6.8 seconds. Ten years ago that was sports car territory.

I don't think the 3.6 was "rushed" to market. It was carefully thought out, and they decided it would be a great multi-platform engine that would save them money. I wish it was tuned for more torque in Ram and Jeep applications, but it is a step in the right direction for sure. Most Hemi JKs are barely beating the '12 V6s in drag races...and I mean just barely.
I think the change from iron to alum block was a big mistake also... Im not in love with either the 3.8 or 3.6 but ill take the 3.8 over the 3.6. My 2dr gets up to speed just fine, if i feel the need to "drag race" my JK, i think ill go check myself into the looney bin.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:44 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i don't know, i love the power the 3.6L pentastar has. certainly, way more than what you got with the old 3.8L and, i have no doubts that in the near future, there will be upgrades you can make to have it modified to being what the challengers come with now. i would imagine that would be a more affordable way to go, easier to install, have no issues with the computer, would provide 305 HP and would be all mopar.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just want a little more low end grunt and I'd be totally happy with my 12. It has plenty of get up and go (even with 35's and 3.73s) when you get the rpms up but more torque is really what it is lacking.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the HP and with VVT, the torque that they are getting from the 3.6 is pretty decent. Hopefully, there will not be the quality control problems some have had with oil burning, etc with the 3.8. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by WXman
Most Hemi JKs are barely beating the '12 V6s in drag races...and I mean just barely.
Maybe the original 340 HP hemi. Otherwise...heh, okay.

Not that I have a desire to drag race a 2012 JK. I do not.

There are other advantages besides speed for having more cubic inch displacement in a heavy vehicle.

But it sure seems like the 3.6 is a major improvement over the 3.8.

Last edited by Yankee; 11-29-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EarlyJk
I think the change from iron to alum block was a big mistake also... Im not in love with either the 3.8 or 3.6 but ill take the 3.8 over the 3.6. My 2dr gets up to speed just fine, if i feel the need to "drag race" my JK, i think ill go check myself into the looney bin.
Keep telling yourself that.

Sent from my iPhone

Quick Reply: Supercharged penstar