Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Supercharged 3.6 in Washington???

Old 06-09-2023, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged 3.6 in Washington???

Hey all! Anyone got a supercharged JK 2012 and up in the Seattle area??? I am thinking of going with a RIPP kit for my 2017 but would love to drive one that's supercharged to get a feel for it and see if it's worth it. With all the added weight and 37s it could really use more power. I'll buy lunch and gas 😁.

Also if anyone is thinking of selling their full supercharger kit! Let me know, I might be interested.

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2023, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dont but..

You should try to understand the different types of superchargers and also your needs. There are really two main types available. Centrifugal and twin screw.

Centrifugal blowers have very little boost down low and build boost with engine revs. Kind of like a belt driven turbo charger. Great for high speed work on the highway where your revs are up and you are always in the high boost zone although under high load you may loose revs and fall out of the boost zone depending on your gearing.

Twin screw blowers usually develop a little less absolute power but have higher boost just off idle and develop torque much lower down while still providing great boost in the upper rev range. So in my opinion (having owned a twin screw and driven a Ripp) very good off road with gobs of torque down low and no sudden "Oh My Gosh here comes the boost" axle snapping power.

Ripp use centrifugal. Some other vendors supply twin screw. Its really down to what you use your jeep for and where you need more vooma.

The best thing you can do is read the forums for others experience.

Oh and budget for a custom tune. All the vendors will tell you that their tunes are "perfect" and there are 1000's of them working fine. Reality is that the tune needs to be made "more perfect". These guys do not have OEM resources to build a tune that works well on all grades of fuel at all altitudes and climates. It will be worth it if you get a custom tune. There are a few well known guys like Diablotoona. Look him up.

Good luck.

Last edited by JEEPCOMMANDER; 07-14-2023 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2023, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I have thought about going this route as well but I will tell you a local off road shop owner friend of mine has told me that every kit from every brand he has installed is pretty much worthless when it is hot out, as in little noticeable performance increase, even with an intercooler.
The following users liked this post:
Sixty4x4 (07-16-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

With all the farting around and expense and headaches you would be better to go to Motech in Vegas and do a 5.3 swap with 8 or 10 speed auto. I love mine and the difference is fantastic. 5.3 is great on gas moeage as well compared to Hemi and Chev 6.2.
JFish'n (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
With all the farting around and expense and headaches you would be better to go to Motech in Vegas and do a 5.3 swap with 8 or 10 speed auto. I love mine and the difference is fantastic. 5.3 is great on gas moeage as well compared to Hemi and Chev 6.2.

The guy that fixed the DW on my Jeep has their kit and a 6.2ls in his JK (and so many other things that were way over my head).
I haven't experienced his Jeep yet, however a 6.0 in a much heavier tahoe is absolutely amazing coupled with the 6l80.

LS is also stupid easy to get good quality parts.
I had some issues sourcing parts with my 3.8 rebuild, narrow choices and higher prices on many things.

First time doing something other than a chevy, and I really quickly learned why people do ls swaps.
Old 07-20-2023, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Superchargers are super wreckers of motors. With boost on a non-boost design you can guess how long it will last. And you will drop a lot of money. Only way I would recommend is go with turbo kit and rebuild motor with forged pistons, proper cam, better oiling, van connecting rods and bearings. Then you have toadd better injectors, programming to make engine run etc etc. Turbos give better bottom end torque than superchargers. Probably a $12,000 touch to do it right. Honestly, the best way to get power out of Jeeps is to swap them for a new Bronco or JL 2.0 Turbo, get a different vehicle or drive downhill all the time.Ever noticed that a 3.8 van same year will spank the arse off a Jeep with the "same" motor. Yet the Jeep is lower geared as well.
JFish'n (07-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Supercharged 3.6 in Washington???