Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Supercharge or Not?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharge or Not?

Can anyone give some advice on supercharging 2010 sahara jk. It is superchipped already but I am thinking of adding the RIPP or magnussen supercharger kit with intercooler. Do you have to remove the superchip tuner system? Is it worth the price? I'm not a mechanic so sorry if questions seem silly?[/Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 PM
JK Freak

I have a 2010 and thought about doing the same until I drove one...if it's just DD freeways np - you get some nice passing power. if you want off road, didn't make any difference and actually would give power surges not nice smooth power.

I'm close to having enough for LS conversion, smooth powerband, good mileage and off-road it's fantastic on the road it'll move.

IMO save your money or regear if you haven't yet.

I'm running 35's, superchips, 4.88's adding the Dynomax VT added a little more pop (just my own perception based on how it handled before and after on the same roads/trails)
Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been running one for over a year. Its still up in the air weather its worth it or not. Improved fuel economy... possibly, takes a whole lot of power to push around built jkur on 37's. MPG on the highway is anywhere between 12-17.5 depending on hills and wind. Still lacking the low end pick up but good pull through the middle and high rpms. No noticeable benefit offroad other than the head turning jaw dropping wow factor of seeing the intercooler behind the grill and hearing the blow off valve as you pass by. Would i do it again... not so sure, would i not do it again... not so sure either. From what i understand a root style blower is better but was not aware of that at the time of purchase. Thats my opinion. When you get the mod bug you always want bigger, better, stronger, more powerful.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Both Ripp and Magnuson have their own tunes to get the most from their systems. You are therefore required to reset your tune to stock ( remove the Superchip tune ) before installing the tunes provided by Ripp or Magnuson.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a 2010 dr DD and going to add a sprintex supercharger. Not has much hp gain as others but not a costly either. I Want more get up and go when driving down the highway. It adds about 55hp at the wheels and they are working on a kit to add an intercooler more more power if you want it. It cmes with a new programer so no need for the superchips. I know regearing will hlp but im looking for more power than what the engine currently has.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a 2010 dr DD and going to add a sprintex supercharger. Not has much hp gain as others but not a costly either. I Want more get up and go when driving down the highway. It adds about 55hp at the wheels and they are working on a kit to add an intercooler more more power if you want it. It cmes with a new programer so no need for the superchips. I know regearing will hlp but im looking for more power than what the engine currently has. With heavy bumpers, skids, and bigger wheels and tires the engine just barley gets up and goes on hills.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

We have runn the RIPP on our race JK for the last 3 years
Old 05-10-2013, 11:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by axel
We have runn the RIPP on our race JK for the last 3 years
Sprintex or Magnusson. The roots sc produces the low end we jeep owners are after.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJCFHB
I've been running one for over a year. Its still up in the air weather its worth it or not. Improved fuel economy... possibly, takes a whole lot of power to push around built jkur on 37's. MPG on the highway is anywhere between 12-17.5 depending on hills and wind. Still lacking the low end pick up but good pull through the middle and high rpms. No noticeable benefit offroad other than the head turning jaw dropping wow factor of seeing the intercooler behind the grill and hearing the blow off valve as you pass by. Would i do it again... not so sure, would i not do it again... not so sure either. From what i understand a root style blower is better but was not aware of that at the time of purchase. Thats my opinion. When you get the mod bug you always want bigger, better, stronger, more powerful.
Ya, If it made a huge difference I could justify the cost. I will look into the blower. It just never ends.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kojack
Sprintex or Magnusson. The roots sc produces the low end we jeep owners are after.
Sorry don't understand, the roots sc?

Quick Reply: Supercharge or Not?