Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

super winch

Old 11-04-2009, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my EPi9 with synthetic for 2 years, and lots of usage. Besides a number of rescues, been clearing trees and dragging the logs out with the winch. It just doesn't quit. Just bought Superwinch's remote so I have cab control and wireless control and love it.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

On the 4wd site theres 7 different superwinches rated at 9000lbs.
winch noob here, i don't understand the differences.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hoopa70
On the 4wd site theres 7 different superwinches rated at 9000lbs.
winch noob here, i don't understand the differences.
Look at the EP or EPi 9k lb series. The EPi has an integrated solenoid, the EP doesn't. The EPi9S has synthetic rope, the EP and EPi have wire cable.

Hope that helps.

JD
Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 PM
JK Super Freak

the 8500 is awesome. I wheel with a bunch of guys who has them and we've never had any issues i've even used mine submerged underwater and its been flawless where as all the guys who run warns that wheel with us have had issues. for 400$ i can't complain, it hasnt failed me yet!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by hroerig
Had my EPi9 with synthetic for 2 years, and lots of usage. Besides a number of rescues, been clearing trees and dragging the logs out with the winch. It just doesn't quit. Just bought Superwinch's remote so I have cab control and wireless control and love it.
The cab control IS the wireless control right?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Super Freak

I went back and forth between the EPi 9.0 and the Warn M8000. Once I realized that they both have the same warranty, I went with the Superwinch. I am very happy with it.

The first trip I had it on, I used it to pull my Jeep the last 1/2 mile out of the trail when my trans locked up. It was great. Paid for itself on my first trip.

I have had 0 issues with it whatsoever and highly recommend it.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

synthetic vs. wire

what are all the differences?

I've heard of wire cables snapping, but that's about it...and it couldn't happen THAT much or they would stop selling wire cables.....right?
Old 11-05-2009, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jd1066
Look at the EP or EPi 9k lb series. The EPi has an integrated solenoid, the EP doesn't. The EPi9S has synthetic rope, the EP and EPi have wire cable.

Hope that helps.

JD
thanks, it does help.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Yes. The Superwinch wireless control kit comes with the cab control and 2 key fobs for wireless control. Works flawlessly & I love having the cab control. Just be sure you order the correct kit--different number for the 7-pin vs. the 4-pin. And, don't make the mistake I made--it's the number of possible pin locations, not the actual number of pins. I wasn't paying close enough attention, ordered the wrong kit (on eBay), then had to get the correct harness from Superwinch. Those folks provided the harness free of charge, even though it was my error. GREAT guys, great products, and great customer service!!
Old 11-05-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stlfan06
synthetic vs. wire

what are all the differences?

I've heard of wire cables snapping, but that's about it...and it couldn't happen THAT much or they would stop selling wire cables.....right?
Weight - synthetic line is much lighter.
Durability - wire cable has a tendency to kink, synth won't - though it will get cut up on rocks if you don't take care of it and use it correctly.
Synth is better in the elements (rain, snow) - it is used on ocean going vessels.

FWIW - wire cable is not inherently dangerous - if used correctly. Synth rope just mitigates some of the "danger" factor that can be had with the wire. I'm sure that there are some close calls out there with synth also - I've never heard any, but considering the tension that is placed on the rope/cable, bad things can happen if you don't use either correctly.

I'm sure I'm missing a few other differences - hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

JD

Quick Reply: super winch