Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Super Swamper TSL/SX Tire

Old 12-02-2011, 03:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think RYJAY confused the TSL SX (bias ply) and the Radial SSR.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandell
I think RYJAY confused the TSL SX (bias ply) and the Radial SSR.
I don't think he could have. I ran 33" and 37" SSR's on my YJ and I can't see how his opinion of them would be that.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

You're right. I look like an ass. I was confused. I apologize for implying people don't know what they're talking about...
I never liked the taste of crow. :-P

My opinion on the sx's does not change. It has been years since I ran them and I was confused over the steel belts. I knew the SX stood for steel belts (that's 'belts' spelled with an 'X') and I thought I remembered them being radials.
The steel belts help them keep shape and they have VERY strong treaded sidewalls but again...
I do not recommend these tires for a daily driver.
Pretty much any tire manufactured by interco is a waste to be put on a vehicle that will see mostly street.

No experience with SSR's... I remember when they came out.
Thornbirds were awful on the trail and on the road.
Hardcore dudes ran TSL's...
REALLY Hardcore dudes ran boggers (mostly on trail buggies)...only knew one guy to run them on road and he was a crazy bastard.
Apparently in the city I live in I was one of the only one willing to fork over the cash for the sx's.
Not only was it a bad decision when considering road ride but the tires themselves had to be aired down to something like 8psi to get the sidewalls to flex. I was always super nervous of popping a bead.

When I wheeled my YJ it was another lifetime... Swampers were the 'best' tire and I had to have them.
I actually swapped out my Swampers the day the first MT/R's became available in Canada (again, had to have 'em).

Things have changed... I'll enjoy my AT's for now...quiet on the street and fun on the trail.
And maybe try to keep my nosey opinions out of people's business.

RJ
Old 12-03-2011, 04:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jesse0376
Bias ply tire should really only be on a wheeler not a dd

Really? It's a good thing then that they did finally come out with radials since there were so many street performance vehicles that were DD on bias ply tires.

I ran SS bias plys on my 08 JKU for a while and they were fine. AWESOME off road. Best off road tire I have ever run though not the best road manners or most comfortable. It was livable though. DO IT!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Horrible road manners. Had these on my last trailer queen jeep. Excellent off road, but scary, loud, and rough on the road.

Quick Reply: Super Swamper TSL/SX Tire