Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Super charging your rig

Old 05-03-2014, 03:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super charging your rig

I want to take this time to make you all aware that if you decide to Supercharge your rig be fully aware that there is a small disclaimer from the mfg. (Vortec in my case) that it is NOT covered under warranty if you drive it in conditions under 32 degrees f. After spending 5,700.00 on a complete unit just over a year ago it is now under repair and it is not good and the worst part of all I store my Jeep during the winter months but apparently when I started it in late March on a 40 degree day it burned up.

Has anyone else experienced this or do I just have bad luck. I have left the distributor or supplier of the unit out of this email because it is not their fault but I do think they should be making it clear to all buyers that the disclaimer is there so be aware.

Michigan man
Old 05-03-2014, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Whats the reasoning behind this.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

Due to tight tolerances and the fact that there is only 4oz of fluid to lubricate the unit.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm interested to know the reason as well. I know that there is a supercharged JK in my city and we spend half the year with temperatures below freezing.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
I'm interested to know the reason as well. I know that there is a supercharged JK in my city and we spend half the year with temperatures below freezing.
Yea. There is a guy in my town who has a white jeep and drives one all year!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rhicksmtb
Due to tight tolerances and the fact that there is only 4oz of fluid to lubricate the unit.
Thanks for the insight. Is this manufacturer specific? Or are they all like this?
Old 05-03-2014, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in WI and we just had the coldest winter in decades. My Magnuson SC was fine.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

I'm told all units by all manufacturers have the disclaimer but that is just heresay because I did not go and look at all the sites but what I recommend is you do your homework before you buy one. If it is a vortec unit which is very popular then go to their site and read up on the warranty and disclaimer section. I do not want any of you to invest this kind of money if you plan to drive it all year around.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:20 AM
JK Newbie

I say anyone that survived the winter with their unit either got lucky of their particular unit is set up (oil lines) to tolerate the cold. As I said if you have a unit or will be buying a unit go o the mfg. of the blower unit itself and read up. In my case the unit "Apparently" came with a disclaimer but I sure didn't see it and if I had I would have not done it.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:40 AM
JK Junkie

You stored your unit and it fried. These guys continued driving through the winter, getting fresh lube pumping through there. Seems like you just have an issue from it setting more than the cold itself. Some turbo designs are like that as well. They caution to not store the vehicle too long for the same reason.

Quick Reply: Super charging your rig