Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Summer top idea..can I be sitting on millions here??-

Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Summer top idea..can I be sitting on millions here??-

My question is why hasn't someone designed a summer top that would work/attach to the two front freedon panels?

I don't need a top to cover ALL of the jeep. In the summer I would like to run with top off at all times, if I just need sun shade for me, I can throw on the two front freedom panels that are always in the back.

The problem comes when it rains (of course). Why hasn't (or maybe they have and my google cannot find it) someone designed a top that would attach to the two front freedom panels and still cover the back half of the jeep (at least well enough to keep it from flooding).

In my eyes this is the perfect solution for us hard top folks, and no need to have to buy that header, and it should be small enough to bag up and put under the passenger seat.

Am I crazy with this idea? Anyone thought the same? Anyone made their own top, if so what material is the best, and what did you use to attach it to the jeep?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like a good idea to me...I don't know about millions...but there's definitely a market for those of us who have hardtops and HATE taking them on and off....it seems like something could be fab'd that would just attach the back top on by the two screws that hold the freedom panels to the middle sound bar. In my mind it would be designed with the same dimensions as a cargo net only solid so no rain gets through...sounds good
Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to run with the 2 Freedom panels, a windjammer and tonneau cover. Anyone know if this is possible?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scottz
I would like to run with the 2 Freedom panels, a windjammer and tonneau cover. Anyone know if this is possible?
this would be cool.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scottz
I know someone here has had this set up. I wanted to do the same thing as well. however... the problem you run into is that the freedom tops cover where the windjammers attach to.. and that once you get them on there.. there is a large gap between the door and the roll cage that is usually covered up by the door surrounds. Now, if youre only doing it to keep out sunlight.. shouldnt be too hard, but if youd like to keep it pretty water tight.. then yeah.. theres your issue.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

I sense a new mod write up coming
Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

The Spiderweb shade is supposed to be able to be installed and stay in with your hardtop in place. You can even let them know that you have a hardtop in advance when ordering, so they'll put some grommets in for the hand screws for the freedom panels.

I only know this because I'm planning on picking one up for this summer.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Idk if I am understanding this correctly... but I always run just my freedom panels. If you just take a bunch of washers and put them between the soundbar and the panels you can us the hand screws to clamp it down..
Old 03-16-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Well you just gave your 'million' dollar idea away to thousands of Jeepists, but besides that, yes, in theory, that would be pretty sweet. Copyright and patent paperwork is pending on my 'FreeRide Top' for JK and JKU Wrangler.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lasemase72
Idk if I am understanding this correctly... but I always run just my freedom panels. If you just take a bunch of washers and put them between the soundbar and the panels you can us the hand screws to clamp it down..
But how to you cover the rear seats and cargo area???

Quick Reply: Summer top idea..can I be sitting on millions here??-