Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suiting up a jeep in May, help

Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suiting up a jeep in May, help

Okay so first off thanks for the help. I have been reviewing over and over what I am going to get and I have been back and forth on things and I'm pretty sure I have a good base on what I am going to get now. I will be getting things until May comes. I just have some questions and the Jeep I plan on getting is an 09 or 10 Black 4 door Rubicon (Standard). I also plan on offroading (rock mainly) 3-4 times a month. The things I will most definitely be getting are:

-Teraflex 6" Long Arm Kit
-37x13.50xR17 Toyo M/ts
-Spyderlock Beadlocks 17"(Question on these)
-5:38 or 5:13 gears

Now, I read from wayoflife's thread that I will not need new driveshafts on the 4 door with a lift and that I should be fine as long as its standard. I have been hearing mixed views so I do not know. Second, will I need any wheel spacers for those tires and I cannot seem to find the backspacing for the beadlocks so I don't really know and I need help on deciding. And third, will I need a steering stabilizer because I am also getting mixed views on this. I have money to spend and that isn't really the problem unless it gets ridiculous, but so far I think I have everything
figured out unless I am missing something. Again thanks for the help I need it.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it a 2dr or 4dr? auto or manual? no matter what, eventually you will prolly need some shafts wheeling it that much.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I posted 4 Door and standard (manual). And what shafts would you recommend I was looking at teraflex, but I do not know the exact model of the shaft or what to get for better quality and performance.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

Are you budgeting for axle sleeves, C2 gussets for those 37s?

Sounds like a good time! I bet May can't come fast enought!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FlameRed
Are you budgeting for axle sleeves, C2 gussets for those 37s?

Sounds like a good time! I bet May can't come fast enought!
I haven't really heard all that much about them or what they do. I just don't want my tires to be really spaced out from the axels. I really just need some understandings on some things.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AveryR
I posted 4 Door and standard (manual). And what shafts would you recommend I was looking at teraflex, but I do not know the exact model of the shaft or what to get for better quality and performance.
lol. sorry I have ADD and got bored reading the original post. you will be fine for a good while with that combo. I love teraflex, but I would likely get driveshafts from elsewhere. look at coast from northridge they are priced nice and build a good product. JE Reels are under lots of rigs on this forum, just stay away from their OEM style shafts. I like 1310's shafts myself not 1350's, cause it is ez to fix a blown u-joint on the trail. If something binds up, I would rather it go first.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

I would get new drivelines for sure. Especially if you're getting the lift installed by a shop just get it all done at once. You'll need a rear bumper/tire carrier if you like having a spare.

X2 on the sleeve & gusset. Sleeves just reinforce the ends of your axle tubes by adding additional material. Same with gussets. It's amazing how thin and weak the axle C's are from the factory. Looks kind of weird... especially in relation to 37" tires. Here's a pretty good writeup on it:

.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0907_4wd_2009_jeep_wrangler_rubicon_unlimited_jk/index.html"]http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0907_4wd_2009_jeep_wrangler_rubicon_unlimited_jk/index.html[/URL]

Also a programmer to recalibrate for bigger tires... that's a good start!

Last edited by mkjeep; 09-10-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: no non sponsor links
Old 09-10-2009, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bertha
I would get new drivelines for sure. Especially if you're getting the lift installed by a shop just get it all done at once. You'll need a rear bumper/tire carrier if you like having a spare.

X2 on the sleeve & gusset. Sleeves just reinforce the ends of your axle tubes by adding additional material. Same with gussets. It's amazing how thin and weak the axle C's are from the factory. Looks kind of weird... especially in relation to 37" tires. Here's a pretty good writeup on it:

.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0907_4wd_2009_jeep_wrangler_rubicon_unlimited_jk/index.html"]http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0907_4wd_2009_jeep_wrangler_rubicon_unlimited_jk/index.html[/URL]

Also a programmer to recalibrate for bigger tires... that's a good start!
Alright, where would I find sleeves and gussets at? I will probably get a new back bumper also for the tire. Also, do you think I need wheel spacers or not and a steering stabilizer?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AveryR
Alright, where would I find sleeves and gussets at?
For gussets & sleeves check out this thread.

I'd recommend ORE!
Old 09-10-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh thanks!! Are the prices for a set of 4?

Quick Reply: Suiting up a jeep in May, help