Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suggestions for real roll cage (not bolt-in)

Old 06-27-2014, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
We would recommend the Synergy (poly) cage. Other than this we would recommend having a custom cage built for you. The River Raider cage mentioned attaches to the factory cage which does not offer a huge amount of protection. The Synergy cage completely removes the factory cage and goes to the frame and not the body. In a violent enough roll over it is possible that the factory cage can either collapse or puncture through the body panels it is mounted to.
That's not entirely correct.

Both piggyback off the factory cage. For a 2 door, they both keep the 2.25x.188 B-C hoops, the 1x3x.125 B-pillar cross bar, and the 1.75x.188 A(Windshield)-B Header. Both also add A and C pillar cross bars, A pillars, Dash Spreader, and front and rear overhad bars. The kits come with assorted 1.75x.188 or 1.5x.188 bars depending on location.

The major difference is the mounting. River Raider bolts the A pillar to the firewall under the dash. Synergy goes through the dash and through the floor and ties to the frame at the A pillar, and also at the B pillar on the 4 door.

The only purchasable kit that fully replaces the cage is the Genright 4 door only kit that is supposed to hit production in July. It's a 100% weld in replacement, but does not tie to the fram at any location.

Having said that, I'm currently working on installing the synergy. The one change I'm making is I've removed the factory B pillar cross bar and replaced it with a fully welded 2x4x.188 wall cross bar that ties the factory B-C and A-B bars together.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Find someone with a bender and and notcher and get to work! Just don't copy mine.
Do you know if that Dirtman guy who in this forum has a bender and a notcher? I heard he is conveniently located by the Rubicon trail, so we could go test the cage after installing it
Old 06-27-2014, 09:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Yes, I have a JD2 model 32 hydraulic bender and model 100 notcher and it takes me right about an hour to dirve the Rubicon Trail.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Yes, I have a JD2 model 32 hydraulic bender and model 100 notcher and it takes me right about an hour to dirve the Rubicon Trail.
That's legit. I do need to get out there and wheel the trail though. I just keep going back and forth on how to get me and my Jeep there. I need to just plan it and do it. Plus, I need some motivation to get this flat belly project going and done (if I can ever make a decision on what to do about the fuel tank...).

I'll get a cage before I go. Saving the one huge favor for getting you to be the guide when I go.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

My only problem right now is that I am in a rental and have no shop yet to work in.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:10 AM
JK Junkie

The house isn't done yet? Did you have those guys carving boards by hand out of timber sourced from your lot?!

I'll trade you. The city won't let me expand my garage, or build a second one...
Old 06-27-2014, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I have not even applied for a permit yet, I can't seem to get the plans out of engineering so I can apply. Been almost 3 months in engeneeing on a 2700 sf house

Quick Reply: Suggestions for real roll cage (not bolt-in)