Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suggestions fix my Rollover Feeling on JKU 5.5 Lift

Old 10-21-2016, 04:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With 6* of caster and 5.5" of lift, coupled with a double cardans up front, you should have disgusting driveline vibrations. Also, it's hard to pinpoint your actual problems. I'm not sure if your last vehicle was a corvette, a Porsche, or a lifted truck. When you lift a vehicle 5.5" and put 37" tires, your road manners will diminish. Tires that big find the low/high spots on the road which can exaggerate them. I'm not saying you can't have a good ride, I'm saying it won't be like a stock, and certainly not like a car.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
With 6* of caster and 5.5" of lift, coupled with a double cardans up front, you should have disgusting driveline vibrations. Also, it's hard to pinpoint your actual problems. I'm not sure if your last vehicle was a corvette, a Porsche, or a lifted truck. When you lift a vehicle 5.5" and put 37" tires, your road manners will diminish. Tires that big find the low/high spots on the road which can exaggerate them. I'm not saying you can't have a good ride, I'm saying it won't be like a stock, and certainly not like a car.
Agree time for a ProRock haha
Old 10-21-2016, 05:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm. Yes.
I feel it's hopeless sometimes
Old 10-21-2016, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Ok I will try what you say,, I will put the tires to 30psi at least, cant go too low or they will wear it quick,,, and yes stock pitman arm...

Originally Posted by nthinuf
45 psi? Look for more opinions, but it seems much more common for folks on here to run 37's down in the 25-30 psi range. Worth a shot to drop the pressure and see if the handling changes. And I seem to recall several people mentioning a radial pull from those toyo's?

Did you verify if you have the drop pitman installed, or the stock pitman? One way to check the angles is to take a wide angle pic of the front axle that shows both ends of the trackbar and draglink in the same pic. Then open it in Paint or whatever and draw straight lines between the mounting points on both bars. Much easier to see how parallel they are that way.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The trackbar and draglink should be roughly parallel to each other, and to the road. To do this, your kit included a drop pitman and a frame-drop front trackbar bracket. These two items lower one end of both of those bars. (the trackbar bracket also helps to center the axle left/right under the frame).

So, assuming that you have the bracket on and not the drop pitman, those bars are not parallel to each other, and should be inducing some handling issues.

To take that a step further, it has been reported that drop pitmans add extra stress to the steering box, and that running one has the trackbar and draglink "operating in different planes". Can't say that I fully understand that, but it was suggested that this combo gives its own funky handling while at the same time doing its actual job.

The more preferred method is a draglink flip or high steer. With these, the axle end of both bars are raised - instead of lowered from the frame. Might be something to look into instead of installing the drop pitman.

For the tires, do a simple chalk test. It will clearly show you what psi gives you the best contact patch. Right now, you are running on just the middles of the tread. Probably better for mileage, but might make it more twitchy. And I'm sure you have seen some mud tires with the centers worn down to nothing and full tread on both sides?

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-21-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Wow I really appreciate all your time you too reply me with all this info... Yes I do have the drag flip high steer bracket. just this week i had that bracket installed to make both parallel because they were not before.. I dont have the pitarm bracket yet.

Totally you are right what you said on the tire thing, now that i have that bracket installed I do see the tire mark only on the middle more then the sides,,

The question is this, by running less air you saying i might have less off rollover? Thank You

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The trackbar and draglink should be roughly parallel to each other, and to the road. To do this, your kit included a drop pitman and a frame-drop front trackbar bracket. These two items lower one end of both of those bars. (the trackbar bracket also helps to center the axle left/right under the frame).

So, assuming that you have the bracket on and not the drop pitman, those bars are not parallel to each other, and should be inducing some handling issues.

To take that a step further, it has been reported that drop pitmans add extra stress to the steering box, and that running one has the trackbar and draglink "operating in different planes". Can't say that I fully understand that, but it was suggested that this combo gives its own funky handling while at the same time doing its actual job.

The more preferred method is a draglink flip or high steer. With these, the axle end of both bars are raised - instead of lowered from the frame. Might be something to look into instead of installing the drop pitman.

For the tires, do a simple chalk test. It will clearly show you what psi gives you the best contact patch. Right now, you are running on just the middles of the tread. Probably better for mileage, but might make it more twitchy. And I'm sure you have seen some mud tires with the centers worn down to nothing and full tread on both sides?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Offroadtoys4x4Jk
Wow I really appreciate all your time you too reply me with all this info... Yes I do have the drag flip high steer bracket. just this week i had that bracket installed to make both parallel because they were not before.. I dont have the pitarm bracket yet. Totally you are right what you said on the tire thing, now that i have that bracket installed I do see the tire mark only on the middle more then the sides,, The question is this, by running less air you saying i might have less off rollover? Thank You
By running the correct amount of air in your tires, you will not only distribute the contact pattern evenly across the tire but it will also take much of the harshness from the ride quality. Tire pressure is what bob cats depend on for ride quality.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

umm. Yes.
Got a jk sitting in my driveway right now with 37's flats and 2'' of bump and it rubs. So unless I add a body lift or get metalclock overlines that's it. It rubs at 2'' of bump. As any jk will.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rsbmg
Got a jk sitting in my driveway right now with 37's flats and 2'' of bump and it rubs. So unless I add a body lift or get metalclock overlines that's it. It rubs at 2'' of bump. As any jk will.
Nobody said you don't have to trim to run those bumps guy. Get out the saw and start cutting
Old 10-21-2016, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monte417
Nobody said you don't have to trim to run those bumps guy. Get out the saw and start cutting
You said 2'' bumps is plenty. That's not exactly true. If we want to break out grinders cutting torches welders and structurly alter the platform and make something fit that's something different than saying 2'' bumps is plenty. That's like saying you can easily pull 500 hp. Out of the jk and then tossing in the caveat later that you need to swap in a V8.

Quick Reply: Suggestions fix my Rollover Feeling on JKU 5.5 Lift