Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suggestions for first mod to JKU Arctic Editon

Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_JK
I'll keep an eye out for him. Thanks.
One of my co-workers just picked up your model jeep!! It was exciting to see a Yeti in the parking lot!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 PM
JK Junkie

Good to go. Thank you.
The Rubicrawler is only a "4-1 type" kit. It should be lower down your list. Control while wheeling can be maintained with gearing, if you're doing lockers. A 4-1 can come later. If you have an auto, it could be even more down the list. I agree that protection should be higher up the list to avoid damaging your snazzy paint.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rob Whitey
It all depends on what you want it to do. If you lift it and run bigger tires without re-gearing it you will be asking for trouble because of your final crawl ratio if you want to play in the rocks. Low gearing is critical to technical driving. Since the Arctic Edition uses the standard JK transfer case, your crawl ratio will be really high relative to the folks with Rubicons. If you just want a desert cruiser you'll be fine. But to climb stuff or play in teh rocks you'll need to either regear your axles, or install a RubiCrawler. The Rubicrawler costs about $1,600 and will give you more versatility than regearing your axles.

In my opinion, lower gearing should be a higher priority than armor because it will give you greater control in the rocks which is more likely to prevent both mechanical and body damage.

And if you just want a desert cruiser, the body armor is not really necessary. Again, it all depends on how you are going to use your Jeep.
3.73 gears and a 5.1 ratio in an auto's first gear:

With the stock JK t-case at 2.73 to one your crawl ratio is 51.9 to 1.
With the stock Rubicon case at 4-1 your crawl ratio is approximately 76 to 1.

Changing 3.73 gears to 5.13's while adding lockers makes your ratio 71.4, or nearly identical to a rubicon case and the Yeti's gears.

This doesn't include the rubicon's 4.10 standard gearset since most other jeeps don't come with them and I'm just trying to show you some apples to apples numbers.

I run 5.13 gears, a manual with a 4.3-1 first gear and a rubicon case at 4-1. The crawl ratio is 88 and I run 38" tires.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing.

Are you running any lockers? If not is the stock set up holding up ok? What kind of terrain do you ride on mostly?
Easy trails mostly so far, due to limited time and not having some upgrades I consider necessary before hitting it hard. I had a 96 XJ I beat up back in Phoenix, but it was worth far less! Next on my list is a front DS, sleeves and gussetts to reinforce the front D30 axle, a RK tie rod, wheels that don't rub, and Sliders. Then ill be much more confident in taking it on rougher stuff. Been stranded too many times and I don't enjoy it. I am looking at a locker for the rear only. I have decided to do the beefiest option, the ARB airlocker, due to its great track r
Old 02-16-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Prime8

Easy trails mostly so far, due to limited time and not having some upgrades I consider necessary before hitting it hard. I had a 96 XJ I beat up back in Phoenix, but it was worth far less! Next on my list is a front DS, sleeves and gussetts to reinforce the front D30 axle, a RK tie rod, wheels that don't rub, and Sliders. Then ill be much more confident in taking it on rougher stuff. Been stranded too many times and I don't enjoy it. I am looking at a locker for the rear only. I have decided to do the beefiest option, the ARB airlocker, due to its great track r
...record and having onboard air for tires as well. Front locker may come much later, if I ever have the money for a ProRock 44...
Old 02-17-2012, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll keep an eye out for him. Thanks.
I found him. His name is bruce wayne.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers

3.73 gears and a 5.1 ratio in an auto's first gear:

With the stock JK t-case at 2.73 to one your crawl ratio is 51.9 to 1.
With the stock Rubicon case at 4-1 your crawl ratio is approximately 76 to 1.

Changing 3.73 gears to 5.13's while adding lockers makes your ratio 71.4, or nearly identical to a rubicon case and the Yeti's gears.

This doesn't include the rubicon's 4.10 standard gearset since most other jeeps don't come with them and I'm just trying to show you some apples to apples numbers.

I run 5.13 gears, a manual with a 4.3-1 first gear and a rubicon case at 4-1. The crawl ratio is 88 and I run 38" tires.
Thanks for for that.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Prime8
...record and having onboard air for tires as well. Front locker may come much later, if I ever have the money for a ProRock 44...
Thanks for the info. I don't plan on getting into the tough stuff for a little while. I want to make sure I have the right tools.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

are you going to go bigger on the tires? what gears do you have stock? with auto you can go to 33's with 3:73's. i'm running 33's on my Arctic with 3:21's right now and getting away with it. but if i go to 35's it will be 4:10 or 4:88 depending on additional weight of bumpers etc. i may add and how aggressive i end up going off road.
if you are def getting lockers and think you are going to regear get it done at once while they are in there and save some $$$
Old 03-21-2012, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rock Krawler lift, and larger wheels and tires.

Love the Arctic Editions....my fav of any Jeep. Wish I had grabbed one , although I do love my Flame Red

Quick Reply: Suggestions for first mod to JKU Arctic Editon