Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suggestions for first mod to JKU Arctic Editon

Old 02-16-2012, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for first mod to JKU Arctic Editon

What do you guys think I should do for my first mod?? I don't like the idea of not having lockers so with that said ...

What do you think should be the first upgrade? 1)OX cable Lockers front Dana 30 rear Dana 44 approx.($2500), 2)($1000) ramsey winch, or 3)bumpers and rock sliders shock works ($1900)?

Only American made parts for me.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_JK
What do you guys think I should do for my first mod?? I don't like the idea of not having lockers so with that said ...

What do you think should be the first upgrade? 1)OX cable Lockers front Dana 30 rear Dana 44 approx.($2500), 2)($1000) ramsey winch, or 3)bumpers and rock sliders shock works ($1900)?

if you plan on wheeling your jeep, rocker guards are what i would get first as the plastic side steps you have now will get destroyed. while lockers are nice to have, i might try getting a small lift and bigger tires first as there's a lot you can do with just that. bumper would be a nice next addition. if you can still afford lockers after that, a rear one may be all that you need and keeping your front 30 open will prolong its life.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would get sliders and bumpers first.. but ox lockers arent a bad idea. But if you lock the dana 30 I would do sleeve, gussest and axles
Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
OR-FAB

4) trail master suspension lift. Agree with these guys theres a lot that can be done without lockers. Also I think sliders are a must. I know they've saved me on multiple occasions
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
OR-FAB

4) trail master suspension lift. Agree with these guys theres a lot that can be done without lockers. Also I think sliders are a must. I know they've saved me on multiple occasions
Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

It all depends on what you want it to do. If you lift it and run bigger tires without re-gearing it you will be asking for trouble because of your final crawl ratio if you want to play in the rocks. Low gearing is critical to technical driving. Since the Arctic Edition uses the standard JK transfer case, your crawl ratio will be really high relative to the folks with Rubicons. If you just want a desert cruiser you'll be fine. But to climb stuff or play in teh rocks you'll need to either regear your axles, or install a RubiCrawler. The Rubicrawler costs about $1,600 and will give you more versatility than regearing your axles.

In my opinion, lower gearing should be a higher priority than armor because it will give you greater control in the rocks which is more likely to prevent both mechanical and body damage.

And if you just want a desert cruiser, the body armor is not really necessary. Again, it all depends on how you are going to use your Jeep.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 2010's special edition with most of the same basic upgrades yours has, except the mountain edition has different colors... My first step, and I did it all at once, was to install 5.13 gears in front and rear, 3.5" Rock Krawler Flex system with jk tuned Fox Shox, Spidertrax wheel spacers, and 35" wrangler MT/R Kevlar tires. This is a great setup, especially with the procal tuner to set gear ratio and tire size. I am extremely happy with my choice and given a new stock jk, I would start the modding the same way.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lift, 35s, rockers, gears, headlight upgrade
Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rob Whitey
It all depends on what you want it to do. If you lift it and run bigger tires without re-gearing it you will be asking for trouble because of your final crawl ratio if you want to play in the rocks. Low gearing is critical to technical driving. Since the Arctic Edition uses the standard JK transfer case, your crawl ratio will be really high relative to the folks with Rubicons. If you just want a desert cruiser you'll be fine. But to climb stuff or play in teh rocks you'll need to either regear your axles, or install a RubiCrawler. The Rubicrawler costs about $1,600 and will give you more versatility than regearing your axles.

In my opinion, lower gearing should be a higher priority than armor because it will give you greater control in the rocks which is more likely to prevent both mechanical and body damage.

And if you just want a desert cruiser, the body armor is not really necessary. Again, it all depends on how you are going to use your Jeep.
Thank you for the advise...I never heard of the Rubi Crawler before...seems like having a selectable lower gear would be beneficial in a Daily Driver. I did not see anything on their website that says if it will work on the new transmission in the 2012 or not. Do you happen to know if the existing Rubicrawler would work?

Thank you.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Jedi

Thank you for the advise...I never heard of the Rubi Crawler before...seems like having a selectable lower gear would be beneficial in a Daily Driver. I did not see anything on their website that says if it will work on the new transmission in the 2012 or not. Do you happen to know if the existing Rubicrawler would work?

Thank you.
No its not available yet for the 12s. I would get sliders first,

Quick Reply: Suggestions for first mod to JKU Arctic Editon