Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suggestions on better tires

Old 08-16-2015, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on better tires

I have had my toyo open country m/t 40" for about 6 months and I'm utterly disappointed. I have put about 10k miles on them (rotated every 3k) and they already lost over 50% of the tread. They do decent on the rocks but after taking them crawling about 4 times they have huge chunks taken out of certain treads. So I'm just wondering if there are some better tires for my next set that are sold in 40" size
Old 08-16-2015, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive always run Nitto and currently running Trail Grapplers. I've alway ran a set of 35 and 37 inch mud grapplers. Loud as heck, but I took care of mine like you do, got 30k out of them. Trail Grapplers come in 40s, according to their site. But they are soft, so you will see chunks out of them as well from the trails.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

I have run MTR-K's and BFG Mud Terrain tires. The MTR's lasted longer and had good traction (40k miles), the BFG's lasted half the time. I just got Nitto Trail Grapplers (37's), but have no experience on them at this point.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nitto and Toyo are made by the same company. Running rocks will take chunks out of both

I'm going Cooper my next set
Old 08-17-2015, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Grognard
Nitto and Toyo are made by the same company. Running rocks will take chunks out of both

I'm going Cooper my next set
Same company yes, same design and quality, no. The tread pattern on the Nitto is much better offroad. My 40" Nittos didn't need to be balanced.

The 40" is also the only DOT Trail Grappler that is made using the same mold as the competition race tires, just with a harder compound. The only 40" tire that I think is better, would be the new DOT Trepador. However, that is specific to offroad. The compound is soft like the Creepy Crawler and probably won't last long on the street. Basically, I think of a Trepador as a tire for vehicles that are 75% offroad.

Anyway, the Nitto is hands down the best 40 for street and offroad.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Same company yes, same design and quality, no. The tread pattern on the Nitto is much better offroad. My 40" Nittos didn't need to be balanced.

The 40" is also the only DOT Trail Grappler that is made using the same mold as the competition race tires, just with a harder compound. The only 40" tire that I think is better, would be the new DOT Trepador. However, that is specific to offroad. The compound is soft like the Creepy Crawler and probably won't last long on the street. Basically, I think of a Trepador as a tire for vehicles that are 75% offroad.

Anyway, the Nitto is hands down the best 40 for street and offroad.
I don't like Nitto for street. Riding down the highway they make so much noise it's incredible. To me they are an off road tire. Very good ones for that.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:52 PM
JK Super Freak

That noise is like music to my ears, 90% of the times, its better than listening to the passenger.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
That noise is like music to my ears, 90% of the times, its better than listening to the passenger.
I agree on both accounts lol ..... Makes the jeep sound and feel alive
Old 08-18-2015, 01:44 PM
JK Super Freak

I started wearing ear plugs for longer trips with my Trail Grapplers. They got extremely loud when I got 3 1/2 backspaced wheels that pushed the tires a good bit outside the fender wells. They are fairly good off road and hook up ok.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

Shoot, my last tires were 37" MTRs and the Nittos are silent compared to those. I guess if you're going from stock tires, I could see how they seem loud, but relative to anything legit, not at all.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on better tires