Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suggestions for axles for 2012 JKU Rubicon going to 37" tires

Old 03-09-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
He's talking about when you stuff the tire up and compress the springs. Essentially, at the point the spring has fully compressed, there is still a slight bit of room for the shock to compress. Excluding all other factors, this means that the kit as is, can't use all the travel of the shock.

In theory you could fix that by moving the upper shock mount down a little. I believe they set it up the way they did to prevent over compression of the shock (a little breathing room).
Correct, on 37s it may not be much. But on 35s its another inch youd have to account for. Just some thoughts, im not bashing there kit, as most will have similar flaws.

I can say, i had rk 3.5 springs (wich are shorter coils) be my bumpstops before the actual bumpstops with just cut fenders. The mc springs would be fully compressed even sooner, I wouldnt even had been able to fully stuff 35s on those fenders let alone theres. 37s imo are less of a problem, but it may still be something you want to look at. Also mc kits and drag link flips are not to friendly either, but they do somewhat counter this with a very tall rear trackbar bracket.

But as for the op, I think you have it right by beefing up axles and such before doing the cosmetic upgrades.

As for the rear axles id get axle shafts and call it a day. Ive bent both flanges on 35s.

Last edited by Maertz; 03-09-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It makes more sense to me now. I thought the 6 packs gave you more uptravel vs the arb edition. It actually gives you more downtravel because the upper shock mounts are a couple inches lower and the shock is a bit longer. I thought you could run less bumpstops with 35s and get more uptravel but I guess not at least with those springs.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i change out the gears given larger tires, will the stock Rubicon lockers still work?
Old 03-11-2014, 07:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drenton
If i change out the gears given larger tires, will the stock Rubicon lockers still work?
yes they will.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for axles for 2012 JKU Rubicon going to 37" tires