Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suggestions for axles for 2012 JKU Rubicon going to 37" tires

Old 03-09-2014, 06:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
As is the case with any kit. I'm getting 13" of travel with 37s. True, not the full 14", but I could probably squeak out more if I felt like trimming the bump stop (they come in 1" increments). There's ways variables and my running 3.5" back space and what is call a narrow 37" tire, helps.

My alternatives are a standard shock with maybe 11" of travel or 14" coilovers (in which case, my 2.5" lift goes to 5"-6"?).

Agree there are considerations, but a blanket statement of "probably not worth it" is misleading.

That's like me saying I read on a forum that guys aren't breaking their D44s, so putting junk yard 60s under a 2 door isn't worth it

Changing bumps wont help your coils from fully compressing, but i do agree with you , you can always make something work out, but 95% of people are not going to mess with there metal cloak kit, just install it. (or have a shop do it)

Depending on how you mount the coilovers thats a little high on lift height...im hoping to be around 5 on 16" coilovers...

I agree for most people this stuff is not a concern as they will get a kit and be happy.

Last edited by Maertz; 03-09-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:04 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by steel pirate
I think the stock shocks are short enough to allow the Jeep to hit the stock bumpstops, otherwise why have them?. How would going to a shorter shock than that make it have more uptravel? The more bumpstop you run, the less you can make use of the extra uptravel that the six pack shocks give you.
Thats why they reccomend there overline fenders, they add a lot of clearance to help keep the bumps down.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
Probably because on another forum metalcloak said 37s may not fully use there travel. While not many people claim this or bring it up its still very possible to not use all there travel. Why? Because most people just get a kit and call it a day. Quote from Metal cloak: You are correct, that on a typical set up with, say 37's, and Overline Fenders, and 2" of bump stop, the 6Paks do not fully compress to the full 14". It is nice to know there is a little extra there. The coils will fully compress first. Say you have 35s This will limit you even more...So you spent extra on there fenders and shocks and still cant run it all? Thats awesome.
But isn't that the same issue with any product? Does buying 14" coilovers mean you toss them on and get 14" of travel with no issues?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
But isn't that the same issue with any product? Does buying 14" coilovers mean you toss them on and get 14" of travel with no issues?
sorry you responded before i edited mine, but i agree. this is why i dont like kits.

Last edited by Maertz; 03-09-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:09 AM
JK Junkie

Changing bumps wont help your coils from fully compressing. Depending on how you mount the coilovers thats a little high on lift height...im hoping to be around 5 on 16" coilovers... I agree for most people this stuff is not a concern as they will get a kit and be happy.
And that's why I read your build thread religiously! I'd take 5" of lift for that travel with a 10" stretch. Hopefully you make double of everything so I can buy the kit from you. Haha
Old 03-09-2014, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie

sorry you responded before i edited mine, but i agree. this is why i dont like kits.
100% agree. I'm working on my fab skills so I can "ditch the kit" at some point.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyways, the artec truss will work with the six pack shocks. Shouldn't have said the shocks may not be worth it with 37s, I don't know enough to say either way.

Last edited by steel pirate; 03-09-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably because on another forum metalcloak said 37s may not fully use there travel. While not many people claim this or bring it up its still very possible to not use all there travel. Why? Because most people just get a kit and call it a day.

Quote from Metal cloak:

You are correct, that on a typical set up with, say 37's, and Overline Fenders, and 2" of bump stop, the 6Paks do not fully compress to the full 14". It is nice to know there is a little extra there. The coils will fully compress first.

Say you have 35s This will limit you even more...So you spent extra on there fenders and shocks and still cant run it all? Thats awesome.
At least I'm learning something I hadn't considered prior to jumping in to a large purchase. Wouldn't you want the springs to compress prior to the shock being fully extended, possibly overextended?

I'm fine with a kit as this will be my first lift and I don't have welding skills and my preference is to install my own lift so I know what's under my Jeep and I learn issues like these.

Should I consider doing anything with the rear axle?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by steel pirate
Anyways, the artec truss will work with the six pack shocks. Shouldn't have said the shocks may not be worth it with 37s, I don't know enough to say either way.
Good insight on the truss. I'd asked a while back and they didn't know, but said to avoid.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by drenton
At least I'm learning something I hadn't considered prior to jumping in to a large purchase. Wouldn't you want the springs to compress prior to the shock being fully extended, possibly overextended? I'm fine with a kit as this will be my first lift and I don't have welding skills and my preference is to install my own lift so I know what's under my Jeep and I learn issues like these. Should I consider doing anything with the rear axle?
He's talking about when you stuff the tire up and compress the springs. Essentially, at the point the spring has fully compressed, there is still a slight bit of room for the shock to compress. Excluding all other factors, this means that the kit as is, can't use all the travel of the shock.

In theory you could fix that by moving the upper shock mount down a little. I believe they set it up the way they did to prevent over compression of the shock (a little breathing room).

Quick Reply: Suggestions for axles for 2012 JKU Rubicon going to 37" tires