Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suggestions for axles for 2012 JKU Rubicon going to 37" tires

Old 03-08-2014, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suggestions for axles for 2012 JKU Rubicon going to 37" tires

So my plans are to go to 37" tires most likely Goodyear MT/r with Kevlar (not sure on rims yet), with the MetalCloak Gamechanger 3.5" lift with 6 packs. Will also go with Metalcloak Overline fenders/armor/rockers. I also plan on new front driveshaft and AFE y pipe given the lift. I will also likely regear to 5.13. I would like to get RCV front axles. I plan to gusset the front axles. My plan has been to keep the stock Rubicon lockers.

I've tried to review the forum for answers but find I end up more confused most of the time.

The vehicle is a daily driver. Unfortunately there are not a lot of places to wheel in North Dakota, but I do try to make it to South Dakota to the Blackhills to get in the rocks. There are some hills and sand that I can play in locally. I've already added bumpers/winch and some skid plates but have found the weight has affected my ability to wheel and I'm scraping the belly frequently on the mild-mod trails. I want to get into the more difficult trails but will need better clearance and my reason to go for 37s. My goal is to be able to wheel more difficult trails but also be able to drive home afterward as trailering my Jeep isn't currently an option for me particularly given the distance I have to drive to find some real rocks.

My questions:

1) how worthwhile is it to truss and/or sleeve the front axle?
2) should I do anything with the rear axles or axle housing?
3) any other things I should consider? I've chosen the tires and lift that I ultimately want but this is my first Jeep and after having done the bumpers/winch/other mods, have learned that things are never as easy I had anticipated.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're on the right right track. I have nearly the same setup you are shooting for (that is not a recommendation, just a statement). Couple comments:

1. Yes, sleeve the axle.

2. Don't truss if you plan to use 6Pak shocks. There will be clearance issues with the uptravel.

3. For a daily driver that sees some highway travel, I like 4.88 better. Personal preference. Just note that if looking at a gear chart, you want to look at the tire size minus 1". So, for a 37" tire, look at 36" to get a real RPM estimate.

I love the Overline fenders. The install is a bit##.

I've only had the lift for a couple months, and the jury is out on the 6Paks. It appears I'm going to have to send one or two shocks back to MetalCloak. They definitely work as advertised and the ride is nice (and I've tried a ton of shocks and several coils). What you don't know until they show up is that they need regular maintenance. That includes recharging the nitrogen. So, buy a nitrogen setup for a couple hundred dollars or pay a local shop a stupid price for a tiny shot of it.

I will follow up if I confirm a second issue with the shocks...
Old 03-08-2014, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would probably be running enough bumpstop with 37s that the truss wouldn't interfere. I think they said it has been installed on unlifted jeeps so I would assume that means stock bumpstops.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by steel pirate
You would probably be running enough bumpstop with 37s that the truss wouldn't interfere. I think they said it has been installed on unlifted jeeps so I would assume that means stock bumpstops.
Correct, but if you run that much bump stop, you've wasted nearly $2k on shocks for no reason. The 6Pak shocks are engineered for max uptravel. To get that, you need min bump stop and high clearance (Overline fenders or no fenders). For them to function as designed, no truss, and no drag link flip.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

If it fits with no lift and stock bumpstops, I don't think there will be a problem. You're probably going to need at least two inches of bumpstops anyway to fit 37s. I don't know if the six packs are worth it with 37s.

Last edited by steel pirate; 03-09-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:15 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by steel pirate
If it fits with no lift and stock bumpstops, I don't think there will be a problem. You're probably going to need at least two inches of bumpstops anyway to fit 37s. I don't know if the six packs are worth it with 37s.
Please do some research before you post opinions. This is inaccurate and misleading information and not helpful. 6Pak shocks compress more than a standard shock. Lift has nothing to do with clearance when you're offroad and flexing the suspension. The axle will travel up more than standard suspension and mono tube shocks. Unless of course, you think it is cool shoving a truss up into your Jeep.

Not worth it with 37s? Because?
Old 03-09-2014, 05:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately not because he is running the set up I bet!! My 37 do great with the six paks....

sent from my work leash
Old 03-09-2014, 05:29 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

Please do some research before you post opinions. This is inaccurate and misleading information and not helpful. 6Pak shocks compress more than a standard shock. Lift has nothing to do with clearance when you're offroad and flexing the suspension. The axle will travel up more than standard suspension and mono tube shocks. Unless of course, you think it is cool shoving a truss up into your Jeep.

Not worth it with 37s? Because?
Probably because on another forum metalcloak said 37s may not fully use there travel. While not many people claim this or bring it up its still very possible to not use all there travel. Why? Because most people just get a kit and call it a day.

Quote from Metal cloak:

You are correct, that on a typical set up with, say 37's, and Overline Fenders, and 2" of bump stop, the 6Paks do not fully compress to the full 14". It is nice to know there is a little extra there. The coils will fully compress first.

Say you have 35s This will limit you even more...So you spent extra on there fenders and shocks and still cant run it all? Thats awesome.

Last edited by Maertz; 03-09-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
Probably because on another forum metalcloak said 37s its more difficult to fully use there travel.
As is the case with any kit. I'm getting 13" of travel with 37s. True, not the full 14", but I could probably squeak out more if I felt like trimming the bump stop (they come in 1" increments). There's ways variables and my running 3.5" back space and what is call a narrow 37" tire, helps.

My alternatives are a standard shock with maybe 11" of travel or 14" coilovers (in which case, my 2.5" lift goes to 5"-6"?).

Agree there are considerations, but a blanket statement of "probably not worth it" is misleading.

That's like me saying I read on a forum that guys aren't breaking their D44s, so putting junk yard 60s under a 2 door isn't worth it
Old 03-09-2014, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

I think the stock shocks are short enough to allow the Jeep to hit the stock bumpstops, otherwise why have them?. How would going to a shorter shock than that make it have more uptravel? The more bumpstop you run, the less you can make use of the extra uptravel that the six pack shocks give you.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for axles for 2012 JKU Rubicon going to 37" tires