Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

SUGGESTIONS FOR A 3-3.5" LIFT ... (continued from 35's or 37's ....)

Old 06-21-2013, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLACK MARKT
Anybody else running the Bilstein 5100 series shocks?
That's what came with my AEV SC kit.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does everyone think about the following set-up that I was recommended :

Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex system. - http://www.smashboogie4x4.com/JK_2_5...p/rkjk25fs.htm

You will easily be able to clear 35" tires with this kit, and even clear 37's with flat flares down the line. It also comes with a front track bar to re-center your axle after the lift as well as front lower control arms to re adjust the caster. The reason these two items are important is because when you lift a JK, the axle will shift over to the driver side of the vehicle as well as back towards the rear of the vehicle, adversely affecting your caster angle. You will be able to adjust the axle back into the proper position, ultimately returning a quality ride.

On the newer pentastar motors, you are going to want to get an exhaust spacer to keep the front drive shaft from hitting the exhaust. The correct way to do this is to replace the drive shaft, but since you said you really aren't going to be taking this off road too much an exhaust spacer will do just fine.

As far as shocks go, we're going to suggest you get into at some Bilstien 5100's. Shocks are an aspect of the build commonly overlooked by a lot of people. Yes you can get a set of shocks for a little over a hundred dollars and they will work. If your looking for a halfway decent ride, the 5100's are a relatively inexpensive shock that will give a great ride on as well as off road.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does everyone think about the following set-up that I was recommended :

Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex system. - http://www.smashboogie4x4.com/JK_2_5...p/rkjk25fs.htm

You will easily be able to clear 35" tires with this kit, and even clear 37's with flat flares down the line. It also comes with a front track bar to re-center your axle after the lift as well as front lower control arms to re adjust the caster. The reason these two items are important is because when you lift a JK, the axle will shift over to the driver side of the vehicle as well as back towards the rear of the vehicle, adversely affecting your caster angle. You will be able to adjust the axle back into the proper position, ultimately returning a quality ride.

On the newer pentastar motors, you are going to want to get an exhaust spacer to keep the front drive shaft from hitting the exhaust. The correct way to do this is to replace the drive shaft, but since you said you really aren't going to be taking this off road too much an exhaust spacer will do just fine.

As far as shocks go, we're going to suggest you get into at some Bilstien 5100's. Shocks are an aspect of the build commonly overlooked by a lot of people. Yes you can get a set of shocks for a little over a hundred dollars and they will work. If your looking for a halfway decent ride, the 5100's are a relatively inexpensive shock that will give a great ride on as well as off road.
Spot on. If I'm not mistaken, that kit does not include bump stops, I may be wrong. Reason is bump stop height is tuned to specific rig. Not sure if brake line extensions included.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Apparently that broken shock pic gets around, saw it last time in a thread titled Bilstein 5100 broken, by a different poster with a different reason on why it broke

Last edited by slider_68; 06-22-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slider_68
Apparently that broken shock pic gets around, saw it last time in a thread titled Bilstein 5100 broken, by adifferent poster with a different reason on why it broke
Same here...I've seen that same pic in several threads over the past couple weeks!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:04 AM
Former Vendor

Bilstein is an excellent company. Sometimes a defect is able to sneak through the assembly line. How many Bilsteins are out on the road right now? How many have actually broken?

Higher quality shocks are certainly out there.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Have to pull the trigger next week on the lift for my Jeep ...
Already the 2nd day of summer and all I did was tint the windows
Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Dumb question :

I read over the weekend that the Bilstein 5100 series shocks are height adjustable
Does that mean if I get a 2.5 lift kit I can go higher by adjusting the Bilsteins?

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
Bilstein is an excellent company. Sometimes a defect is able to sneak through the assembly line. How many Bilsteins are out on the road right now? How many have actually broken?

Higher quality shocks are certainly out there.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Former Vendor

Dumb question :

I read over the weekend that the Bilstein 5100 series shocks are height adjustable
Does that mean if I get a 2.5 lift kit I can go higher by adjusting the Bilsteins?
The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask!!

You will not be able to adjust your ride height unless you go to a Coil Over suspension system.

The 5100's we have been speaking about do not have a threaded shock body so it is not even possible to convert into a coil over system.

Last edited by Smashboogie 4x4; 06-24-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: SUGGESTIONS FOR A 3-3.5" LIFT ... (continued from 35's or 37's ....)