Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

SUGGESTIONS FOR A 3-3.5" LIFT ... (continued from 35's or 37's ....)

Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JE8154

how did you manage that?
Wow! Wouldn't the bump stops max out droop before it snapped a piston?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF? How'd that happen?

Originally Posted by RND
Attachment 470169
Bilstein 5100s
Teraflex coils-200+ lb ft/inch
Originally Posted by JE8154
how did you manage that?
Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
Wow! Wouldn't the bump stops max out droop before it snapped a piston?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:38 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK MARKT
Appreciate the info - thank you

My intention is NOT to go offroading with my JK, it's for looks and will be mainly used for "pavement pounding" to the beach and snowboarding in the winter
I wanted a 3" lift but it looks like to do it correctly I'll have to get a ton of additional parts and modifications which will cost me a small fortune
2" lift is not an option so after doing some research and making some calls I'm considering going with the TeraFlex #1251000 budget 2.5" lift kit w/ shocks

A rep I talked to yesterday even suggested the TeraFlex 2.5 lift kit w/o shocks and ordering a set of Bilstein shocks to match for ride comfort ....
I'm also really concerned about steering wheel jutter or shaking so apparently with the 2.5" I shouldn't really get any of that.

What is everybody's thoughts on this?
A TeraFlex 2.5" kit ELKA's will give you a smoother ride than the Bilsteins but they cost quite a bit more.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:40 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RND
Attachment 470169
Bilstein 5100s
Teraflex coils-200+ lb ft/inch
My bet is you drooped out it puts the shock against the frame which bends and weakens the shaft.... (wouldn't usually happen right away but multiple flex on that shaft will cause a fatigued spot, the shaft isn't designed for cyclic loads just column loading)
Look at the frame and shock for rub, I've bent 3 shocks thankfully my shock body was up but my shafts were arched which causes them to break...

Not a shock problem but a issue on a lifted jeep or one with longer than stock shocks, the fix is to move the lower shock mounts out bored a inch....rotating the mount 90 degrees and raising it 1-2" works well for droop...

hey all do this with the longer shocks and drop out the axle pulls to the passenger side from tracbar and really moves over...it did it on both mine but mainly driver side.

So fix your lower shock mounts and no more issues...

Last edited by BRUT4CE; 06-21-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dhpinned

My bet is when you droop out it puts the shock against the frame which bends and weakens the shaft....
Look at the frame and shock for rub, I've bent 3 shocks thankfully my shock body was up but my shafts were arched which causes them to break...

Not a shock problem but a issue on a lifted jeep or one with longer than stock shocks, the fix is to move the lower shock mounts out bored a inch....rotating the mount 90 degrees and raising it 1-2" works well for droop...
Actually snapped on a speed bump in a shopping mall doing 5 mph a week after the lift was installed
Old 06-21-2013, 07:54 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by JK Inspired
Actually snapped on a speed bump in a shopping mall doing 5 mph a week after the lift was installed
Had you put it on a ramp, wheeled it at all or let it flex prior? Not that it should have snapped right away but it could have started a spot. Still a warranty fix for sure.

Then manufacturer defect lol....not common place for sure but that's why there's warranty for things like this which isn't common....shaft was probably flawed or tempered to hard and brittle.

But I still stand on my lower mount for lifted jeeps I've seen it on several and my own countless times somethings gonna give and its the shock eventually.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

What are ELKA's?

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
A TeraFlex 2.5" kit ELKA's will give you a smoother ride than the Bilsteins but they cost quite a bit more.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by BLACK MARKT
What are ELKA's?
Ella is a shock manufacturer out of Canada that do the power sports industry. Snowmobiles, mx, rzr, bikes etc....good company that make a really good shock, not cheap but they try to do all top notch stuff....
Shocks are shocks are shocks when it comes to the upper stuff but they focus on tuning properly instead of selling 1 shock fits all....

I have ran their stuff on my dh bikes and impressed with their stuff definte quality and good company.....
Old 06-21-2013, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the info

Originally Posted by dhpinned
Ella is a shock manufacturer out of Canada that do the power sports industry. Snowmobiles, mx, rzr, bikes etc....good company that make a really good shock, not cheap but they try to do all top notch stuff....
Shocks are shocks are shocks when it comes to the upper stuff but they focus on tuning properly instead of selling 1 shock fits all....

I have ran their stuff on my dh bikes and impressed with their stuff definte quality and good company.....
Old 06-21-2013, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Anybody else running the Bilstein 5100 series shocks?

Quick Reply: SUGGESTIONS FOR A 3-3.5" LIFT ... (continued from 35's or 37's ....)