Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sudden Steering Issues

Old 12-12-2013, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden Steering Issues

I drive a 2008 2 door with a 4" lift and have done so for 6 years with no issues. I rotate and balance tires every 3000 miles and have the lift checked at the same time. However, in the past week the Jeep has began to wonder on the road and at times becomes almost uncontrollable. i have not had a chance to get under it to check to see if anything has come lose or broken due to snow but I have heard nothing pop, break or even squeak. I know this is very vague but just wondering if anyone might have an idea where to check first>

Old 12-12-2013, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Have you checked your ball joints? Mine was wondering a bit too, replaced the ball joints and now its back 100%
Old 12-12-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id give it a basic rundown. Alignment, tire pressure/balance. Then id hold the track bar,tie rod,draglink while someone steers the steering wheel and check for play or clunks. Also check the bjs by jacking up the jeep and trying to move the tire.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Guys, thanks for the input. what you are suggesting is just what I thought I would do.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:20 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Start with watching the videos in the thread linked below in my signature about diagnosing death wobble. Although you aren't describing death wobble, diagnosing the source(s) if your problems are essentially the same.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Default planman with the plan, man

Start here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/

Lots of great info on checking for loose or worn parts before you throw money away on stuff you don't need.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by drt4fun
I drive a 2008 2 door with a 4" lift and have done so for 6 years with no issues. I rotate and balance tires every 3000 miles and have the lift checked at the same time. However, in the past week the Jeep has began to wonder on the road and at times becomes almost uncontrollable. i have not had a chance to get under it to check to see if anything has come lose or broken due to snow but I have heard nothing pop, break or even squeak. I know this is very vague but just wondering if anyone might have an idea where to check first>

I had something very similar happen to me "all of a sudden" one night almost home, when my 2010 4.5" lift acted weird as I changed lanes, didn't steer right and a yellow light on the dash flashed on for a second. got home and found out the nut (passenger side) holding the tie rod on the knuckle was GONE, not loose, but off and gone.

Pucker power at full force! check all your nuts and bolts, might be something easy,, then again, might be something that gets you killed.

Just saying.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zanyzonies
I had something very similar happen to me "all of a sudden" one night almost home, when my 2010 4.5" lift acted weird as I changed lanes, didn't steer right and a yellow light on the dash flashed on for a second. got home and found out the nut (passenger side) holding the tie rod on the knuckle was GONE, not loose, but off and gone.

Pucker power at full force! check all your nuts and bolts, might be something easy,, then again, might be something that gets you killed.

Just saying.
agreed. I had my tie rod break and swing out, thatll make you shit real fast...

was my fault for being an idiot and thinking i wanted absolutely no misalignment...
Old 12-12-2013, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had an issue very similar to that on my '08 2 door. It was a combination of worn out/out of balance tires and the stock steering stabilizer being worn out. So I used this excuse to go from 33's to 35's new balanced tires and a duel skyjacker steering stabilizer set up. No more issues.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I hope mine is not tires, they only have 2k miles and i just put on a dual stabilizer the same time i put new tires on it. I am leaning toward a loose bolt or broken part but will check it out tonight.....provided I make it home.

Quick Reply: Sudden Steering Issues