Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

suck down winch in the front

Old 01-13-2015, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suck down winch in the front

So has anyone tried this on a JK... that is using a winch to pull in the front suspension when doing steep climbs Just curious more than anything else. I see them on a buggy quite often but never on a JK. Figured that there isn't a good place to mount one.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am running one that is a 3500lb atv winch mounted behind the radiator on a new crossmember. It works well. My suspension didn't unload bad, but it is a nice peace of mind and helps on steep climbs. I don't have any good pics, but I can try and get one.

I may add something to the rear for steep downhills as well.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was out with a guy who had one. He ran the winch line down between the bumper to a hook up, it was like a mount that came above the tie rod.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-157083816.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	591860
Old 01-13-2015, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Sweet... can you send me some pics of the setup?

Opps... Just reread your post. That would be great if you could send some pics after you snap it.

Last edited by 2climbbig; 01-13-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:28 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You can run your winch as a suck down just make sure the line is out of harms way during approach. I was planning on one for my rig but it is so stable I never feel the need for any more stabilization.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I have been ramping up on level of difficulty and so far so good with my suspension. Very predictable and no noticeable unloading. I am currently on 3s and 4s (out of 5). The reason why I am asking is on my last trip there was a near vertical climb some buggies where on and they were pulling in their front suspension before attempting it. It was pretty extreme and looked fun, but after seeing how close those guys where to flipping, I figured, I would pass.

I have always played in the 3s, most 4s and a few 5s. I figured if I put a winch on the front suspension, it would give me some more options.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot of guys out here use them and i plan to eventually. I dont think my front winch will work so i may need to do like ringer.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

I have already copied Ringer's 3rd link set up on the rear axle and it worked brilliantly. I can't wait to see his set up for the winch mount.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

So here is what I ended up doing. I built a new crossmember from some 2x4 tubing, and cut out one side to allow the fair lead to sit recessed in it. The crossmember bolts to both frame rails and the radiator crossmember with three 1/2" bolts all in double shear. I the used a cheap Harbor Freight 3500lb winch and cut the cable length down to about ten feet so I could get full pulling power. On the axle I just welded in two 1/4" tabs with a pull pin to remove the cable if needed. I also didn't like the crap wiring that came with the winch so I used a waterproof Busman circuit breaker and wired it to an ignition hot rocker switch from OTRATTW. It works well, and although it is close to the engine and radiator, there is zero flex out of this setup. I did build a less robust mount the first time and when I test cycled it in the garage, realized it was flexing the winch close to the motor, so I built this setup.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Looks like you have a lot of extra line on that winch for your application in case you care about weight. Then again, if you're trying to weight the front-end, it will only help.

Quick Reply: suck down winch in the front