Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stuck shaft

Old 04-23-2015, 05:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

As i recall, that flange isn't always straight (depends on where your pinion angle is set). Compare to the other side. Also, check the plug welds. If it really did rotate, those would be sheared off (it has happened). If the tube isn't bent, just weld the tube to the cast and that will prevent any future issues.

Or, upgrade, haha. Just making sure you don't spend money you don't want or need to spend.
Yup a local here on 37s rotated his pumpkin straight up. Those plug welds are pretty half assed imo. On my new ones i fully welded the tube even though there trussed... Probably overkill.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As i recall, that flange isn't always straight (depends on where your pinion angle is set). Compare to the other side. Also, check the plug welds. If it really did rotate, those would be sheared off (it has happened). If the tube isn't bent, just weld the tube to the cast and that will prevent any future issues. Or, upgrade, haha. Just making sure you don't spend money you don't want or need to spend.
Thanks for the advice, I will check the other side and update later.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
Yup a local here on 37s rotated his pumpkin straight up. Those plug welds are pretty half assed imo. On my new ones i fully welded the tube even though there trussed... Probably overkill.
That's a fact. It is the one major weakness to the rear axle. They should talk to Ford about how to do plug welds. My portaband couldn't even put a scratch in the ones on my D60. Had to cut the cast away and break it off on parts. Then go back with a cutoff. Even the cutoff wheel took a crap on them. I finally cut as much as I could with a plasma and then hit it with a grinder. That's how it should be done!
Old 04-23-2015, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's a fact. It is the one major weakness to the rear axle. They should talk to Ford about how to do plug welds. My portaband couldn't even put a scratch in the ones on my D60. Had to cut the cast away and break it off on parts. Then go back with a cutoff. Even the cutoff wheel took a crap on them. I finally cut as much as I could with a plasma and then hit it with a grinder. That's how it should be done!
I've been following your thread but I forgot, what year and what did your ford axles come out of?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKBud
I've been following your thread but I forgot, what year and what did your ford axles come out of?
2010 F350. The axles are the same from 2005-2010 in the F250 and F350 (other than things like gear ratio, etc).
Old 04-23-2015, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

2010 F350. The axles are the same from 2005-2010 in the F250 and F350 (other than things like gear ratio, etc).
how would those compare to 60s from an 02 f350 just more beef?
Old 04-23-2015, 11:06 AM
JK Junkie

how would those compare to 60s from an 02 f350 just more beef?
05+ have quite a bit more beef. Wider, larger tubes, much larger C's and knuckles, 35 spline outers, stronger unit bearing, virtually plug and play ABS sensor (assuming you match the rear tooth count to the front).

The pre-05 really aren't weak. One item most go with is the Currie 35 spline hubs. The upside is that they are lighter and have more room to weld stuff on on the driver side tube. If you're not planning to run 40" plus stickies with a V8, they are probably more than good. I think the width on them is around 69.5" vs. 72" on the 05+. Most people are going with the 05+ now because it really doesn't cost more and they don't require any upgrades other than gears and lockers.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

05+ have quite a bit more beef. Wider, larger tubes, much larger C's and knuckles, 35 spline outers, stronger unit bearing, virtually plug and play ABS sensor (assuming you match the rear tooth count to the front). The pre-05 really aren't weak. One item most go with is the Currie 35 spline hubs. The upside is that they are lighter and have more room to weld stuff on on the driver side tube. If you're not planning to run 40" plus stickies with a V8, they are probably more than good. I think the width on them is around 69.5" vs. 72" on the 05+. Most people are going with the 05+ now because it really doesn't cost more and they don't require any upgrades other than gears and lockers.
Thanks for that info and the flange on the other side was the same with being tilted to the back of the axle. Pulled the right shaft and the splines were all straight.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:35 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for that info and the flange on the other side was the same with being tilted to the back of the axle. Pulled the right shaft and the splines were all straight.
Should just need a new shaft then. Get some chromo shafts and be done. Ten Factory seems to be the best about warranty should you bend or break one.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you suggest a set of these for running 37's on d44 Rubi axles BEFORE any damage is done? Is it a big upgrade from stock? Regarding the aftermarket shafts

Quick Reply: Stuck shaft