Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

STUCK: ft 3" ultimate on Front Lower Arms

Old 05-08-2008, 11:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
Get her involved she might enjoy it, and if she does, More mods for you!
I try, but she gets bored too quickly out in the garage... but she loves wheeling our jeep. At rausch creek last weekend the deal was she would drive until 12 and I would drive the rest of the day. Well I didnt get behind the wheel until 2 and then minutes later I ate a stump with my front skid and got stuck.... she told me to stick to turning wrenches and let her handle the driving... and she's been callin me stumpy... She can be a real ball buster!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by bly109
I and she's been callin me stumpy...
thats not from getting the jeep stuck either
Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
thats not from getting the jeep stuck either
hahaha ha ha.... yeah, I knew that was comin
Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

HAHAHA too funny......

I forgot to mention, that IMO it is safer to leave the Jeep on all four tires, remove one control arm at a time and replace and use the ratchet strap method to align the holes. I DO NOT like to be under the Jeep when the tires are off of it and its on jack stands.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by isuadam
Calling all experts!

I got my FT Ultimate 3" kit last night and have been installing it per WOL's excellent write-up.

But I'm stuck. I'm installing my new, longer lower front control arms and I can't get them in. I've tried various ways to roll the front axle forward in order to slip the axle-mount bolt into the fitting, but I'm having no luck.

Does anyone have advice for me? Should I remove the upper control arms (wouldn't that make my axle dangerously unhooked?

Here are some pics:
Both are the passenger side:

and another angle:

As I'm stuck in the process now any QUICK help you could send my way would be MUCH appreciated!!!!!

Adam
did you get the arms on??

are the arms the same length?? if unsure check by putthing arms side by side and putting the lower control arm bolt through the eyes should line up adjust as neccessary until line up, place a jack at the dif near the yoke, and you can go up or down as necessary, i did my control arm while the tires were on and sitting on ground, becaue i had already done the lift and upgraded to adjustables later. your shouldn't have to take anything off (exept the control arms). when i done my tj, did mine in the air every thing was flexed made difficult to install, when i done my jk did it on the ground, went alot faster.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

I also did mine with tires on the ground. Once you have the arms adjusted to desired length, either use the ratchet strap or have a friend look at the angle as you slowly roll jeep forward or backwards. If nothing is lifted off the ground, this is easy way to roll the axle to the angle you want. Cant state 100% its the safest way, but have done this several times and never felt unsure of it. Always worked well.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again thanks everyone for the good & quick feedback. I used the ratchet strap method and had my arms installed in less than a minute. It was so clever it was almost "duh, why didn't I think of that" terrain.

Equal control arm length was mentioned and toward that goal I used a pair of long screwdrivers passed through all hardware as the arms were side by side and they were perfectly the same length. The last thing I wanted to do was get everything installed only to realize something was off. Best do it right the first time.

The kit is almost on (just the rears remain) but I had to come in for a break. Thanks again to Eddie for the excellent writeup.

Quick Reply: STUCK: ft 3" ultimate on Front Lower Arms