Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

STUCK: ft 3" ultimate on Front Lower Arms

Old 05-08-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STUCK: ft 3" ultimate on Front Lower Arms

Calling all experts!

I got my FT Ultimate 3" kit last night and have been installing it per WOL's excellent write-up.

But I'm stuck. I'm installing my new, longer lower front control arms and I can't get them in. I've tried various ways to roll the front axle forward in order to slip the axle-mount bolt into the fitting, but I'm having no luck.

Does anyone have advice for me? Should I remove the upper control arms (wouldn't that make my axle dangerously unhooked?

Here are some pics:
Both are the passenger side:

and another angle:

As I'm stuck in the process now any QUICK help you could send my way would be MUCH appreciated!!!!!

Adam
Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have your driveshaft disconnected? If not that would be the culprit.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

No, I don't! I must have missed that in the writeup.

Once the driveshaft is disconnected, and the arms installed, will it be trouble getting the driveshaft reconnected?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

no it wont be a problem. Also make sure you have the front tires off the ground, and the shocks disconnected.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Do not disconnect your upper arms. You should only do one at a time, otherwise the axle will roll on you and could hurt you. You don't need to disconnect your drive shaft, and I doubt it would help you even if you did. Make sure your shocks are not connected. If you have a ratchet strap, preferably a heavy duty one, attach both ends to your bash bar and wrap the strap around the back of the axle. Slowly ratchet it forward until the holes line up. I have installed a number of suspension arms this way all by myself and it works great whether you have to take the axle forward or backward.

Let us know how it turns out!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the great, and FAST advice. This forum is the best thing since sliced bread.

Adam
Old 05-08-2008, 10:46 AM
JK Freak

When i installed mine the front driveshaft was keeping mine front rotating forward, WOL's instructions say to take it off for auto's
Old 05-08-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
Do not disconnect your upper arms. You should only do one at a time, otherwise the axle will roll on you and could hurt you. You don't need to disconnect your drive shaft, and I doubt it would help you even if you did. Make sure your shocks are not connected. If you have a ratchet strap, preferably a heavy duty one, attach both ends to your bash bar and wrap the strap around the back of the axle. Slowly ratchet it forward until the holes line up. I have installed a number of suspension arms this way all by myself and it works great whether you have to take the axle forward or backward.

Let us know how it turns out!
Great idea! That sounds alot easier then draggin your wife out to the garage
Old 05-08-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

when I adjust my control arms,. I use the jack from the JK on the diff, at the pinion (tires on), it helps roll it up or down., and is very easily adjusted.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 05-08-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by bly109
Great idea! That sounds alot easier then draggin your wife out to the garage
Get her involved she might enjoy it, and if she does, More mods for you!

Quick Reply: STUCK: ft 3" ultimate on Front Lower Arms