Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stuck on DFC (Dead F'n Center) on next mod.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote shocks. A guy with bilstien talked me into ome. They've been on a few months and I'm happy with them. I had RC shocks prior to that it made a world of difference. I don't think you could wrong with shocks and the bilsteins should be a ton better than stock.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

shocks - they are a cause of early tire wear...

control arms, uppers will set your caster and help with the flighty steering. Lowers will also help set caster, but they also change your wheel base length and can place the sways to close to the springs (then another issue)

Frt Driveshaft of the boot is already torn...
Old 08-28-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeeep
shocks - they are a cause of early tire wear...

control arms, uppers will set your caster and help with the flighty steering. Lowers will also help set caster, but they also change your wheel base length and can place the sways to close to the springs (then another issue)

Frt Driveshaft of the boot is already torn...
So first step is uppers?
Old 08-28-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

you don't need the uppers for your lift. Just get the lowers it will push the axle back where it was before you raised the Jeep and give you back some of the lost steering control. set them at 23" eye to eye and check your castor with an angle finder you should immediately notice a difference in steering feel. If the boot is torn I wouldn't wait that long to replace your DS the stock ones aren't serviceable so when it goes it's gone and you dont want that to be when you're driving it. And as for a snorkel if your buying it for looks then you're buying it for the wrong reason. If you'll actually get some use out of it then go for it, but it seems like you have other items that need to be addressed first and foremost.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fadeout
you don't need the uppers for your lift. Just get the lowers it will push the axle back where it was before you raised the Jeep and give you back some of the lost steering control. set them at 23" eye to eye and check your castor with an angle finder you should immediately notice a difference in steering feel. If the boot is torn I wouldn't wait that long to replace your DS the stock ones aren't serviceable so when it goes it's gone and you dont want that to be when you're driving it. And as for a snorkel if your buying it for looks then you're buying it for the wrong reason. If you'll actually get some use out of it then go for it, but it seems like you have other items that need to be addressed first and foremost.
I just got name a "JK FREAK" but I'm not sure what happens if the DS takes a crap while driving. Will it blow out the trans? Help me out here, is this like loosing a wheel or steering box at 80 mph?
Old 09-10-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Thank you all for the feedback. I decided on Bilstien 5100 shocks to upgrade the X-shocks. Wow what a difference on the road. While I've not had a chance to go on the highway I can feel a substantial difference even just backing out of the driveway. The bilstiens are stout, took the floor jack to compress them enough to get 'em on the Jeep.

Also, installed some JKS Quicker disconnects (awesome).

I took a members advice on replacing the Driveshaft too. Went to the dealer, expalined I had torn the boot. Service Manager was great.. Now it's time for me to make sure this one last for a while until I can get an aftermarket.

Comparison pic of Stock X shocks vs. Bilstien.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Red Dog
This is a no brainer. If you have a part that is broken, then that should be your first priority. Don’t for get to grease your new drive shaft every six months or more if you go in sand or water.

Well to follow up on this thread, in not time at all I tore the boot on the 2nd stock driveshaft, longer bilstien shocks helped with this. I ordered and installed the Coast 1310 driveshaft and extended brakelines.

Quick Reply: Stuck on DFC (Dead F'n Center) on next mod.