Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stuck between lifts..Please help decide!

Old 06-18-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkJason
That RE lift uses cam bolts to adjust driveline angles. Cam bolts are a cheap way to fix the angles and break easily. However at least it addresses the problem. I'd get the TF kit but with some adjustable arms. OR get the RE kit and use the cam bolts tell you have the dough to buy adjustable control arms to replace the cam bolts.
Yea i know. I will get the adjustable CAs also. Im doing the bolts for now and not do any hard wheeling for the time being.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Me too!

I too am stuck between lifts. Personally I think this decision is one of the hardest I have ever had to make. I am also leaning towards the TF 3" w/ Fullflex arms or possibly even TF 4".

However, I am also considering the OME HD lift from Northridge w/ front & rear adj. trackbars.

I am going to run 35" KM2's or Toyo M/T for now as I have a Sahara w/ auto &3.73 gears' but was thinking of going w/ the TF 4" as I could upgrade to 37's after I re-gear.

Sorry don't mean to hi-jack the thread but it sounds like the same issue.

Your opinions?
Old 06-18-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by srt-iz
Yea i know. I will get the adjustable CAs also. Im doing the bolts for now and not do any hard wheeling for the time being.
If you install cambolts you are retarded. Everyone that has done them regrets it. You know that your control arm bracket has to be cut for the cambolts to work, right? Then when you realize that the caster sucks and your Jeep is all over the road, and your cambolts are pushed all the way out, you are going to have to get metal washers welded into the control arm brackets.

It is obvious that you don;t believe anything I have typed in here, but do some searching in this forum and all over the internet. The cambolt install is a big mistake. That is why you don't see most real suspension systems coming with them. They come with adj. arms instead. If you look at companies like superlift, skyjacker, rough country, RE, whatever... they are the ones with cambolts. Look at companies like Teraflex, currie, clayton, etc.. They either come with adj. control arms or nothing at all. If you are smart (I kinda doubt you are after asking for advice from people and listening to none) you should just leave your control arms alone until you can afford the adj. lower arms. But if you want a hacked up re-welded retarded arm then you are on the right track. You should at least ask a couple guys in the forum that used cambolts what they think of them. Best of luck... I am not responding in your thread again. Pointless, waste of time.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

I wasn't aware of having to cut your brackets, thats worse than I thought. I don't think RE offers adjustable short arms either. So what advantage does the RE 3.5 short arm have over TF? This is why I chose tf 3'' with tf arms.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I am running the OME long travel shocks on my Teraflex 3". They are pretty nice.
X2. You can't go wrong with a TF 3" with a full set of TF control arms and OME shocks. Quality products and great customer service.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jkJason
I wasn't aware of having to cut your brackets, thats worse than I thought. I don't think RE offers adjustable short arms either. So what advantage does the RE 3.5 short arm have over TF? This is why I chose tf 3'' with tf arms.
ya, the control arm brackets have got to be cut so that the cam bolts can move. instead of the control arm bracket having a hole in it that the bolt goes through, it will have a slit so that the cam bolt can move back and fort a little. It allows for less than half an inch of adjustment, and is only kept in place by a nut and the cam pressing against a notch in the bracket. That is why they come loose and move around. You are a smart guy getting the arms. I wouldn't want to have to get my brackets rewelded and hope that johnny welder gets the washers lined up perfectly. The only benefit I see for the RE kit is that it is cheap.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
If you install cambolts you are retarded. Everyone that has done them regrets it. You know that your control arm bracket has to be cut for the cambolts to work, right? Then when you realize that the caster sucks and your Jeep is all over the road, and your cambolts are pushed all the way out, you are going to have to get metal washers welded into the control arm brackets.

It is obvious that you don;t believe anything I have typed in here, but do some searching in this forum and all over the internet. The cambolt install is a big mistake. That is why you don't see most real suspension systems coming with them. They come with adj. arms instead. If you look at companies like superlift, skyjacker, rough country, RE, whatever... they are the ones with cambolts. Look at companies like Teraflex, currie, clayton, etc.. They either come with adj. control arms or nothing at all. If you are smart (I kinda doubt you are after asking for advice from people and listening to none) you should just leave your control arms alone until you can afford the adj. lower arms. But if you want a hacked up re-welded retarded arm then you are on the right track. You should at least ask a couple guys in the forum that used cambolts what they think of them. Best of luck... I am not responding in your thread again. Pointless, waste of time.
You dont have to be a D!CK about it!! If i knew what i was doing then i wouldnt have asked the question. What makes you think that im not listening to peoples suggestions? Do you think that i am basing my decision on just these responces? You should do some reading on other threads as well or maybe im geting PMs from other people.

I know that the TF kit is a great kit but maybe thats just not what i want to go with. Its my JK, my taste, my money, and my ways. You should really try the "preview post" button and read what you write before you post so check yourself and stop being a doushebag!!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by srt-iz
You dont have to be a D!CK about it!! If i knew what i was doing then i wouldnt have asked the question. What makes you think that im not listening to peoples suggestions? Do you think that i am basing my decision on just these responces? You should do some reading on other threads as well or maybe im geting PMs from other people.

I know that the TF kit is a great kit but maybe thats just not what i want to go with. Its my JK, my taste, my money, and my ways. You should really try the "preview post" button and read what you write before you post so check yourself and stop being a doushebag!!
Hey , bigblue is one of the most tactful ,politically correct people on hear Think he just didn't wanna see you slottin your brackets. We all wanna do our best on hear to help people if we can with issues we personally have had or issues that have plagued other people. If you wanna run the cambolts, that's ok. I didn't do it because from a physics standpoint, it didn't make a whole lotta sense. Or for safety either. I saved for several months so I could get adj arms. Whatever you do, have fun and enjoy the process.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:50 PM
JK Jedi

I wrote a whole bunch of stuff, but F-it. You are still gonna post the same dumb questions all over the forum. There is nothing wrong with RE or the kit you bought. I was just trying to warn you that if you use those cam-bolts you are gonna be sorry. But like 12 other people in the 6 other threads you posted these questions in said the same thing. Ya, I am a dick on here, but I can be a real asshole in real life. So piss off cheesedick and just know you will remember this post when you are at the shop paying 2 or 3 labor hours getting your control arm brackets fixed.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 06-18-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Not cool.........There is no reason for you to treat people on this site like this.....

Quick Reply: Stuck between lifts..Please help decide!