Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

stuck between 3 4" lifts which one and why?? buying on 06/12

Old 06-10-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck between 3 4" lifts which one and why?? buying on 06/12

well im going to be buying a lift for my 08 4 door rubicon on the 12

i was stuck between 3 and 4 in lifts and after setteling on a 3in for a long time i figured if i want a 4 i better just get one as this will hopefully be an operational vehicle in my lineup for a long time to come . I live in central/northern california and i go offroading every now and then (which will be much more when i get the lift : )] i live close to the rubicion trail and so thats my main go to and a place i want to fully defeat but there are tons of other trails and mud pits and such in the area so that sums up what i will be doing

the jeep is pretty much a DD but i have other cars

the 3 lifts i was stuck between are - and i was just wondering what you think is the best kit and why - if the kit doesnt come with LCA i will buy them as that seems a must - i will probably start out with 35s - bfg muds as i i get the kit and all the other stuff im going to need i wonte have enough money for a rear tire carrier/gears as i will eventually run 37s - the jeep is pretty much stock as of right now less the fab 4s front bumper and winch which comes out to about 220lbs over the front (so ive been saggin really bad which is fun : / )

anyway the 3 im looking at im mechanically incline and have always done my own work on my vehicles and this will be no excepiion

.4wheelparts.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=TER1251400&jeep-parts=true[/url]

.4wheelparts.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=SUPK921R&jeep-parts=true[/url]

.4wheelparts.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=FULK7126M&jeep-parts=true[/url]

looking for any opinions any kit i may be missing anything like that and why you think one is better than the other - i was trying to stay around 1000 for the kit but am definitely willing to go higher as indicated by the kits - i do want to stay under 2000 with kit shocks lcas if possible as i still have to buy tires : / and a few other things - and i have the electro sway bar disco and i want to keep that i see alot of kits say they have sway bar disco stuff - will i be able to keep the factory electro disconect?

thanks just getting nervous before i go drop some $$$ and want to make sure im getting some decent stuff

Last edited by mkjeep; 06-10-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: no clicky
Old 06-10-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but are you taking this note into account?

Driveline modifications are required.
At that height, and since you have an auto, you may want to fit a front driveshaft into the budget also.

Lots of info in the faq's on which components you will want, and why, if you haven't browsed through them yet...

Also, see post #6 here for some preventative steps if you want to wait on the driveshaft
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...vs.-Skid-plate
Old 06-10-2010, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good call on the front DS.

I'd say go with the 4" kit. If you want to run 37's and are taking it crawling, you'll either need a 4" or a 3" plus a 1" BL most likely so the 4" would be the better bet. There are plenty of 4" kits that aren't that involved (none to minimal welding) and then you'd only have to do the lift once.
On a side note, I would recommend going straight to 37's if you're at all thinking about it since tires should last you at least 30-40K mi. You may be slower at first, before you do your gears but it'll be worth it IMO.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

By the way, I've got the lower version Superlift (SS shocks instead of the Reservoir ones) and I love it. Tucks 37's just fine. I only added the fixed length front lowers, not the full arm set so I can't speak to that but the lift itself is great.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 06-10-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

I would agree with the above post... a 4door with 37's a 4" lift would be the way to go...

When I was getting my lift kit one of the vendors told me I might be able to squeeze some 37's under my 2door softtop at the time i was thinking that 35's were all i would really need.... Silly me.... 40's look pretty good on a JK ...just not my pocket book
Old 06-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Former Member

Your not going to find a good complete 4" kit for under a grand. theres just to many parts needed to lift it properly.

A good 3" kit just over a grand is our 3" premium plus, it has everything you need to lift your 4 door JK properly (minus shock).

All of our kits are made in the USA,

See the link in my sig for more info
Old 06-10-2010, 10:58 AM
JK Junkie

I am partial to the 4" Teraflex lift, but I am biased. The only thing is that with the one you have listed you would at least need to add the front lower control arms for your caster adjustment.

X2 on preparing to purchase a front driveshaft eventually as well.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension
Your not going to find a good complete 4" kit for under a grand. theres just to many parts needed to lift it properly.

A good 3" kit just over a grand is our 3" premium plus, it has everything you need to lift your 4 door JK properly (minus shock).

All of our kits are made in the USA,

See the link in my sig for more info
I understand that you're a competitor so I'm not trying to wave this in your face but my "complete" 4" Superlift was just under $990 with shocks, if I was willing to run cam bolts. Since I'm not, I opted for front LCA's which added a bit to the cost but wasn't a "necessity". Now, with that said, I don't have a Rubi so I don't know what other details beyond elec. disco's there are that differentiate us. I also have a manual so I didn't need to swap my front DS either.

Another detail to consider (for the OP) would be brake lines. The kit I'm running has brake line relocates, not extensions so there's that to consider as well. The relocates certainly work but braided extensions, or even full replacements would be nicer if you're playing in the rocks alot, or going over alot of roots/stumps that could rip the factory lines. They were an option for my kit (as with many) but just tack on to the cost.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shizzlehappens
I understand that you're a competitor so I'm not trying to wave this in your face but my "complete" 4" Superlift was just under $990 with shocks, if I was willing to run cam bolts. Since I'm not, I opted for front LCA's which added a bit to the cost but wasn't a "necessity". Now, with that said, I don't have a Rubi so I don't know what other details beyond elec. disco's there are that differentiate us. I also have a manual so I didn't need to swap my front DS either.

Another detail to consider (for the OP) would be brake lines. The kit I'm running has brake line relocates, not extensions so there's that to consider as well. The relocates certainly work but braided extensions, or even full replacements would be nicer if you're playing in the rocks alot, or going over alot of roots/stumps that could rip the factory lines. They were an option for my kit (as with many) but just tack on to the cost.
I ran that kit for awhile, once you start adding weight to those springs, especially the rear, there gonna squish down pretty good. It does ride nice, but once you start with heavy bumpers and load the rear with passengers/gear it sags pretty bad, your headlights will be shinin for coons.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I ran that kit for awhile, once you start adding weight to those springs, especially the rear, there gonna squish down pretty good. It does ride nice, but once you start with heavy bumpers and load the rear with passengers/gear it sags pretty bad, your headlights will be shinin for coons.
Well that's no good. I'm pulling a camper this weekend but my lift's new. Did you end up swapping the whole lift or just the rear springs?