Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stubby vs Full Bumpers

Old 09-26-2008, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude! Your mom hit a horse! What's the story behind that one! I am leaning toward the PJ stubby. It just looks cool! Going for the Mad Max look!
Old 09-26-2008, 12:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kflash
Dude! Your mom hit a horse! What's the story behind that one! I am leaning toward the PJ stubby. It just looks cool! Going for the Mad Max look!
My mother in law was on a back road in northern Montana, and it is open range. She came around a corner and a horse came running out from behind a bush.

There was a volunteer fire fighter behind her who said he thought it was going to be a fatal accident, but all she got was a broken pinky. Unfortunately the horse hit the front and rolled all tyhe way down the side of her car, and then took off running again. Not sure how far he made it whough since a large portion of his front shoulder was left at the sceen.

I found a good picture of a moose against a full width bumper at highway speeds. There is only a dent on the hood where the head hit. Imagine taking that with a stubby. I will put up with the limitations in clearance from a full width for the protection any day.

Last edited by Littlejon; 09-26-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by putnam dan

I'm with you there

wanted just a little more than the stubby as small trees kept getting between the wheel and the bumper when the stock was cut down
Lookin good Dan!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

I did it for all the same reasons people here did, heres a couple pics.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full Fenders need full size bumber, But I do like stubby bumpers with the Flat Fenders. Just my
Old 09-26-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VictorS
Tire carrier: Homemade (Sorry, I am currently unable to make you one) If you want a write up, let me know.
Personally, I'd like to see a write up. That tire carrier/bumper is simplistic and tough looking. Please share your fabrication techniques...
Old 09-26-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Unless you are going to be going over some SERIOUS obstacles. I think it boils down to the look you prefer.

I agree that is a tuff looking tire carrier.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JC JK
VictorS
Were did you get the rear tire carrier from? That is what i am looking for on both of my Jeeps. The lift you have is it a Poly lift? If so that is what i am putting on my 08 Rubicon 4-door. my 07 4-Door has a Super lift and i like it but want to be different on the Jeeps.
Rancho just came out with one that looks very similar to the one victors has if your wanting that type of look.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like the stubby fronts for many of the above reasons.

I prefer fullsize rears though. It protects the rear tub corners from rear end "drop" situations. I've already skidded along on the rear left corner of my PJ rear. If it wasn't there it would have been my tub. If you want stubby rears I recommend some type of crusher corner.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 PM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	070.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	13314

Click image for larger version

Name:	068.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	13315

Homemade stubby...reasons as previously stated.
It is just a plain 50x100mm (2x4in) steelbar bolted on, very simple and cheap because there are no winchbumpers with CE approval avail yet to euromarket which i am waiting to come up.

Quick Reply: Stubby vs Full Bumpers