Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stubby vs Full Bumpers

Old 09-26-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stubby vs Full Bumpers

Why did you guys choose stubby bumpers over full bumpers? Looks? Functionality? Combination? Or maybe something I've never even thought about. Your input is appreciated! And pics are always welcome
Old 09-26-2008, 07:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks, ease of acces like N2Rock said, and increased angles.. I could literally climb a wall. (not that I ever did, but I could)

Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

I have the e-disco, but for me the stubby bumper ensures full capability to clear obsticles with your tires. Full bumpers may hit the obsticle before the tire can reach it, also the weight of the really large bumpers like arb etc. Is an issue for me. I think my stubby wieghs 70lbs and my winch weighs about that as well. The full length bumpers can be over 200lb and add the winch you will be carrying an extra half an engine on your bumper. I have felt the drivability of these heavy front ends and to me i can notice the difference. I know you can add spacers and such to compensate, but i'd rather not go through the hassle. I could of got the mopar full bumper for a deal, but it was to heavy and interfered with my capabilities.

Conversely i can understand wanting as much protection as possible with a full and the look nice with the lines of the jeep. Also if you were involved in an accident you would want the full over the stubby. My choice though is the stubby.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

100% funcionality for offroad use.

Wide, low slung, heavy bumpers are more of a hinderance than a benefit for crawling on difficult terrain. On the other hand, light weight, high clearance bumpers will get you a lot farther.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

My tires rubbed with a full front bumper at full turn with any gas on the peddle, so I pulled my end caps off and now run stubby.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:24 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aznme1
Why did you guys choose stubby bumpers over full bumpers? Looks? Functionality? Combination? Or maybe something I've never even thought about. Your input is appreciated! And pics are always welcome
function = good looks. a stubby will allow you to nose your tires up to obstacles which in turn gives you much greater approach angles.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

VictorS
Were did you get the rear tire carrier from? That is what i am looking for on both of my Jeeps. The lift you have is it a Poly lift? If so that is what i am putting on my 08 Rubicon 4-door. my 07 4-Door has a Super lift and i like it but want to be different on the Jeeps.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JC JK
VictorS
Were did you get the rear tire carrier from? That is what i am looking for on both of my Jeeps. The lift you have is it a Poly lift? If so that is what i am putting on my 08 Rubicon 4-door. my 07 4-Door has a Super lift and i like it but want to be different on the Jeeps.
Tire carrier: Homemade (Sorry, I am currently unable to make you one) If you want a write up, let me know.

Lift is Rubicon Express Long Arm Extreme Duty with 5.5" lift coils.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dwikto
I have the e-disco, but for me the stubby bumper ensures full capability to clear obsticles with your tires. Full bumpers may hit the obsticle before the tire can reach it, also the weight of the really large bumpers like arb etc. Is an issue for me. I think my stubby wieghs 70lbs and my winch weighs about that as well. The full length bumpers can be over 200lb and add the winch you will be carrying an extra half an engine on your bumper. I have felt the drivability of these heavy front ends and to me i can notice the difference. I know you can add spacers and such to compensate, but i'd rather not go through the hassle. I could of got the mopar full bumper for a deal, but it was to heavy and interfered with my capabilities.

Conversely i can understand wanting as much protection as possible with a full and the look nice with the lines of the jeep. Also if you were involved in an accident you would want the full over the stubby. My choice though is the stubby.
Never even thought about the weight issue. Hey! I learned something today, thanks!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses guys. Given me more to think about.

Quick Reply: Stubby vs Full Bumpers