Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stubby Vs. full bumper?

Old 07-21-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two cents---The wife was on her way to work, when she got there she had to park next to a cinder block wall. For most of us this would be noproblem BUT The wall jumped out at her....When she heard the smash and felt the impact she stopped. She tryed to back up and stalled she was wedged. long story short, if I had a full size front bumper I would not have had to replace the side marker after putting the fender flar back on after stealing some of the clips from the driver side.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default tube fenders

stops grocery carts in their tracks

Seriously, it is a good question. I had my heart set on the Shrock Mid-Width and was really prepared to get it. That until I came to realize that I am a broke man. So, I decided to build my own. I started with a basic concept and kept cutting here, welding there, fabin' this up then changing it all. When it was all said and done, I compromised a mid stubby. I cut the bumper at the inner edge of my front tires. It performs exactly like a stubby would and that's what I ultimately received.

Last edited by RocksHurt; 07-21-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:46 PM
JK Junkie

I have been told the stubby is for the serious Jeeper and the full width is for a lighter Jeeper. And I realize many serious Jeepers have full width bumpers. Just what I have heard from a few others.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RocksHurt
stops grocery carts in their tracks

Seriously, it is a good question. I had my heart set on the Shrock Mid-Width and was really prepared to get it. That until I came to realize that I am a broke man. So, I decided to build my own. I started with a basic concept and kept cutting here, welding there, fabin' this up then changing it all. When it was all said and done, I compromised a mid stubby. I cut the bumper at the inner edge of my front tires. It performs exactly like a stubby would and that's what I ultimately received.

From one Fabricator to another, Great Job!! You took alot of time to get it right and you will be happier for doing it that way, seen to many people with big ideas and very little skills end up with some crazy stuff. How about some details. How thick is the main plate? How did you attach the shackle mounts, how thick are they? Are the bolts on the face of the bumper the only mounting bolts? What about skid plates under it?

Last edited by 72Jeeper; 07-21-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:58 PM
JK Newbie

It's form meets function. Tastes great. Less filling.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 72Jeeper
From one Fabricator to another, Great Job!! You took alot of time to get it right and you will be happier for doing it that way, seen to many people with big ideas and very little skills end up with some crazy stuff. How about some details. How thick is the main plate? How did you attach the shackle mounts, how thick are they? Are the bolts on the face of the bumper the only mounting bolts? What about skid plates under it?

The front is a section of 6 inch channel iron w/ 1/4 thickness. The top and skirting is 3/16 plate and the winch plate is 1/4 with 3 reincforced gussets underneath (no winch flexing). I have it mounted in the front w/ the 8 main bolts and 2 tabs behind the winch plate. The shackes mounts are 5/8" and welded twice for strength. After seeing my creation, I did not see the need for a skidplate as of yet. I do have plate left over if I desire to build it though.

Thanks for the compliment and yes, lots of time to build but it was rewarding.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:45 AM
Fallen Hero

Originally Posted by HUNTER
If deer hits tire? Deer jerky!.....stubby looks "right" with flat fenders.imo
^^SWEET RIG!

I am looking at some stubbies, I cant tell you how many bumpers I creased on past vehicles.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I went with the Shrockworks mid-width because it provides a great look and most of performance of their stubby, and it has holes
for the factory fogs (or after-market fogs, should one chose).

Quick Reply: Stubby Vs. full bumper?